Drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, but we're about 5 hours from the Anacortes ferry, and I'm within 30 minutes of 2 dive shops down here. I appreciate the offer, though, and we may come up that way to dive some time fairly soon, and we might have to stop in!

Take a look at USIA suits. We just switched our team over to them and NONE of the guys want to go back to DUI or Viking as their primary suit.

As far as fit goes, any questions on size go to the larger side. Here is a pic of me standing on a picnic table bench with one of the two DUI suits I carry with me all the time. It's an extra large extra tall and I'm neither but it works very well. The guy that had this suit prior to me was around 6'4" and I'm 5'7". My other one is quite a bit smaller but not as comfortable.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/75088/ppuser/2714

The guy standing next to me ia almost 6'.

Gary D.

I'll throw in a vote for Whites. Fusion is a great suit but as others have said, fit is important. I decided on the Catalyst 360 for me. Custom fitted, tough as nails and flexible.

VERY good points to consider. Fit is critical, and purchase without knowing what stock size you each might require, or whether you really require a custom fit, is associated with some risk.

I was just reading about a scuba death this weekend (not a recent one, I don't think, but a "what you can learn" type thing from a older incident) where the likely cause was a dry suit that was too tight at the neck. Not having dry suit experience myself, this really surprised me that someone wouldn't be uncomfortable enough in a tight suit to get out before it was too late. As I understood the report, though, a big part of the problem may have been that the diver did not know the difference between a neck seal that fits tight enough to keep water out and one that is too tight and will cause a serious downward spiral upon physical exertion.

I say this because, as a new diver, the associated risks are not always obvious ones. At least not to me. :)

Goes to show you that proper training is so valuable. Not just from a book, because an outline only goes so far. Real life experience from other divers, competent instructors, reliable information and getting into a pool to test stuff and PRACTICE before getting into open waters. Yes, try it in a pool first! If a dive shop doesnt let you do that - go to one that does! Would you buy a car never checking to see if it starts?

Phil, I don't know where you are in Wasington (Vancouver area, perhaps, given your time description from Anacortes) but we do have a number of shops in the greater Seattle area that rent drysuits, which is one way to try and see what kind you like. A to Z Scuba in Puyallup rents Fusions, as I believe Bubbles Below still may (not sure about that), and Bubbles rents DUI suits.

We are in Vancouver, nice guess! I actually went ahead and bought the suit this weekend. After doing more research and actually going and diving the suit in the pool, I decided it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

DUI makes a suit that is crushed neoprene on the lower half, and tri lamintaed shell on the upper half - Flex 50/50 ... more durable on the bottom, lighter on the top
Goes to show you that proper training is so valuable. Not just from a book, because an outline only goes so far. Real life experience from other divers, competent instructors, reliable information and getting into a pool to test stuff and PRACTICE before getting into open waters. Yes, try it in a pool first! If a dive shop doesnt let you do that - go to one that does! Would you buy a car never checking to see if it starts?
I'm going to second this important advice about getting training from a good mentor or instructor .. before my training I never would have thought a drysuit could be so difficult/dangerous if you do not react properly in an emergency
(I posted my expereances with class in the Advanced Scuba Discussions forum)

I definately agree with everyone about proper training. We are half way through our AOW class (got cancelled because of a snow storm), and we are taking the drysuit familiarization through that. There really is more to drysuits than I thought there would be.

Back
Top Bottom