Drysuit recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xitesmai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to start my drysuit training but I need to acquire a drysuit first.

Currently I'm looking at the Fourth Element Argonaut and the Hollis Biodry...

Can anyone give a recommendation here? Or reasons I should go in a different direction.

The setup I'm looking for I hope to accommodate silicone neck seals, socks w/ rock boots, a p-valve.

This suit would be used for general fun diving, wreck/cavern and possibly cave in the future.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was not aware that FE made drysuits. They have always made high quality products and this drysuit seem to follow in that tradition. The Hollis suit is also great. IMO bot the suit will cover your needs, thus it boils down to what you since will be living with that choice and also your budget.

If I had to make a choice between these 2 it would go to FE, their gear is just top class!!

Can you rent for the course? There are a lot of different styles that the class may help you learn the pros and cons of each.

In my drysuit class and shortly after, I was able to dive five drysuits: one neoprene, one crushed neoprene, two tri-lams and a White's Fusion.

Only now am I looking to buy, after diving of all those varieties.

I can only say try before you buy and ask some owners for their input. When I was shopping I settled on a DUI trilam suit and was very happy. Trilam is lightweight, easily transportable, and quick-drying. I'll admit that I still got pretty cold diving in San Diego but it beat the heck out of a wetsuit. I never did go the extra mile for dry gloves which probably would have helped.
I was told that a crushed neoprene drysuit would keep me warmer, but the trade-offs would be they are much bulkier, heavier, and take longer to dry.
I had the integrated booties, really just a sock with a sole on the bottom, but they actually worked very well for me. At least as far as the DUI rock boots are concerned all I ever heard was that they are garbage, and most people either preferred wetsuit booties or Converse Chuck Taylors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom