Question Drysuit socks + rockboots vs integrated boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edwaty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I recently had an issue with my Avatar drysuit: I asked for a replacement of the integrated neoprene boots to get a size up, and they put neoprene socks instead.
I don't have enough time to return the suit again before my next dive trip as it takes months to get the boots changed.

So I had that:
spec_1.jpg

And now I have these socks:
socks1.png

I thus have two questions regarding this:
- Do you have any recommendation about what to put over these socks? Rockboots, neoprene boots, anything else?
- When I'll be back, I'll have two options: keep what's in place, or return the suit to get the neoprene integrated boots back. Do you have any recommandation? I have never dived anything else than integrated boots.

For reference:
- I have Scubapro jetfins XL and XXL.
- My feet are pretty long (EU size 46-47, which is something like 12/12.5 US) and thin, so I often have an issue with big sizes that are too large, which isn't great to avoid floaty fins (which I tend to often have, but it's also probably due to a lack of experience diving drysuits) and to have precise kicks.

Thanks

I like the aqualung boots.

For Best Fit:
Take suit and fins and socks to LDS (or Surf Shop or Paddlesports shop). If you let them know that you are bringing in your own kit, they will accomodate you.
Try on their inventory. Pick boots that have the fin-strap retaining-knob on heel. Try to get a hard sole.
See/feel what boot/sock/fin combination fit/work best for you. 🥾

I don't know what you have available in France, but here in the US, I carried my suit to the discount shoe store, put my leg in it and tried on canvas shoes until I found some that fit well.
Converse all stars are the style, but not the brand I used.

For me, neoprene socks with Rock boots. Make sure all fit comfortably sung with the appropriate thermal sock and fits fins on top of all of this.

I prefer neo socks, this way I can match boots to fins.
+1

What I also like about lace up boots (or Converse style footware) is that I can control how tight they fit my feet. I (almost) always dive dry – depending on the temperature, might wear just thin running socks or two pairs of heavy woolen ones. Neoprene socks + laces can accommodate this better than integrated boots, imho

I used rock boots when I had neoprene socks. The scubapro rock boots are quite thick: I use XXL Jet fins with rock boots and XL with integrated boots on another drysuit.

Since this is currently a temporary thing for you until you decide if you like them, I recommend getting some inexpensive water shoes like depicted below to wear over the neoprene socks. They will protect the sock from abrasion and cuts until you decide to send them back or keep them:

1679769310262.png

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom