Drysuit techniques, practice drills, tips etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If its a older dump --- there might be a few things going on.. Dirt in the valve-- muck-- stuff to keep the suit from venting correctly or as easy as it could.. 2nd part is-- if its a older dump-- the new ones are going to be lower profile.. They arnt that expensive and now is a good time to make sure that your vent is new-- working and placed in a correct spot.. Congrats on the new suit.. Im new to dry diving also -- and will NEVER go back :D...

seems like everyone has covered most of your questions. I'll address the underwire. I wear an underwire racerback bra under my sports bra when diving dry. (The sports bra alone with my build isn't enough to be running around topside) I have worn this very deep and never had a problem with it getting squeezed somewhere uncomfortable. so no worries :D

i agree with kim - i usually wear a sports bra, but wore an underwire last weekend & no worries.

are you trying a she-p? if not, why not? if so, how's it going?

small tips - make sure you're pulling your cuffs pretty high up your wrists. be very careful not to get your underwear near the ends of your seals. have a second set of undies in your drybag in case of a soaking on the first dive.

I second Marci's suggestion on a second set of undies in your drybag in case you're soaked on the first dive. My second set of undies has saved my dive buddy from calling the second dives when her Fusion floods.

Are you trying a She-P too? :popcorn:

i agree with kim - i usually wear a sports bra, but wore an underwire last weekend & no worries.

are you trying a she-p? if not, why not? if so, how's it going?

small tips - make sure you're pulling your cuffs pretty high up your wrists. be very careful not to get your underwear near the ends of your seals. have a second set of undies in your drybag in case of a soaking on the first dive.

second set of undies - got it!

No I am not trying a she-p. I wish I could, but I am allergic to most glues/medical tape etc. However, I do not have a problem with Band-aid brand bandages, so obviously they have a different adhesive. So with any luck there is a type of glue that will not cause a reaction. Because I have seen what just a simple bandage does to me, and I do NOT want that on my lady parts!

On that topic, I did wear a poise pad, which made my dive much more comfortable. I was worried about whether it would hold all the contents of my bladder though, so I only let enough out to be comfortable. Anyone know how much these things can handle? Obviously not my prefered route but for now it is all I have.

Congrads on moving over to a dry suit.
I just completed 2 days with my instructor in high springs fl, i decided to throw everything in together and did my first doubles and "real" dry dives at the same time.

On handling the suit -
I agree all the comments about a shoulder valve - i replaced my DUI valves with SI tech ( Gamble Scuba) for $75/each installed - your welcome to the old ones if you want em' the shoulder may be fixable i thought it was leaking but it could have been something simple.

on decent - open your dump valve all the way and decend feet first for the initial 8 feet, hold your arms up and the suit will vent out the trapped air, then slide into trim position for the rest of your decent (or at least i do). once at depth just put in enough air to make the suit comfortable but still tight (aka keep the sqeeze as tight as you can with just enough air to allow your under garmet to work).
use your BC for boyancy and keep your dump valve open

hope that helps - i'm not an expert at this but after the 2nd dive in the suit, it ceased being an issue and just become warm :)

Thanks rlynch for your comments! Always great to here from another person that is at the same newness :)

I did my second dry dive today! Night dive, only 30 feet max. Had a great time, and no out of control ascents. I figured out how to vent the thing reliably - I have to bring my arm up to the "surface ok" sign (but without the wrist flex, just the arm). Actually a lot easier after I could get it to go on command a few times.

I have also found I am trying to vent the suit too much. Because I feel the small bubble on my back that travels to arms when I turn, but apparently this is normal? Whenever I try to vent that it doesn't go, no matter what I do.

My next step - actually start closing the valve more when on the bottom. I have been keeping it all the way open so I don't forget or be too late and start shooting to the surface. I have been told that this especially could be causing more leaks - I am finding more wet on my left (dump valve) arm then my right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom