Drysuit too big ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you put your thermal undersuit on underneath your drysuit? And how did they measure you? With or without the undersuit, and just adding some inches to it?
To be honest, I think the total suit is extremely bad cut as shown on your picture. The waist is no good and there is no model on the upper part of the suit. But I don't know the price of this suit and what can be expected. However, I wouldn't want to wear this.

Did you put your thermal undersuit on underneath your drysuit? And how did they measure you? With or without the undersuit, and just adding some inches to it?
To be honest, I think the total suit is extremely bad cut as shown on your picture. The waist is no good and there is no model on the upper part of the suit. But I don't know the price of this suit and what can be expected. However, I wouldn't want to wear this.

I was measured wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt so no extra fluff around it.

When i tried to wear it i was with a thick pair of jeans and a t-shirt but i would imagine the little bit of extra "fluff" around the torso wont change as much .

This suit ended up costing me just over 2K USD after upgrading all of the seals so i wont be giving up on this one so quickly
-----------------

When i first spoke to the guy he told me the suit is long because it is telescopic and tried sending me a video on how to wear it, i watched it just in case but they did exactly what i did.

Its very loose around the Torso & arms, also the legs could have a little less slack.

After i adjusted the straps a little bit i was able to make it fit a bit better but the excess of material on the front of the suit causes it to have a "belly" which i think would really get in the way...

Will update as it progresses

I was measured wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt so no extra fluff around it.

When i tried to wear it i was with a thick pair of jeans and a t-shirt but i would imagine the little bit of extra "fluff" around the torso wont change as much .

This suit ended up costing me just over 2K USD after upgrading all of the seals so i wont be giving up on this one so quickly
-----------------

When i first spoke to the guy he told me the suit is long because it is telescopic and tried sending me a video on how to wear it, i watched it just in case but they did exactly what i did.

Its very loose around the Torso & arms, also the legs could have a little less slack.

After i adjusted the straps a little bit i was able to make it fit a bit better but the excess of material on the front of the suit causes it to have a "belly" which i think would really get in the way...

Similar construction to my Bare HDC Tech suit. Although mine also looks insanely long when I'm not wearing it, the suit looks "right" when it's on me, unlike your suit.

That suit is going to have to go back to the manufacturer and pretty much every part of it is going to have to be replaced. You shouldn't have to pay any more to get them to replace it with a suit that actually fits.

You might want to contact your bank and find out what the timeframe rules are for a chargeback. Just in case they don't replace it with a suit that actually fits you you'll know you have some recourse other than walking away from thousands of dollars. If it was me, I wouldn't be asking for my money back yet - but I would prepare just in case I had to.

Similar construction to my Bare HDC Tech suit. Although mine also looks insanely long when I'm not wearing it, the suit looks "right" when it's on me, unlike your suit.

That suit is going to have to go back to the manufacturer and pretty much every part of it is going to have to be replaced. You shouldn't have to pay any more to get them to replace it with a suit that actually fits.

You might want to contact your bank and find out what the timeframe rules are for a chargeback. Just in case they don't replace it with a suit that actually fits you you'll know you have some recourse other than walking away from thousands of dollars. If it was me, I wouldn't be asking for my money back yet - but I would prepare just in case I had to.

One of the reasons i decided to buy at a local reputable DC instead of online is just incase something like this would happen i will have someone i can go to.

They are the ones importing ScubaForce here, they took my measurements and they handled the order , i just showed up and stood still for 5 minutes so they can measure me.

As far as ive heard people have praised their customer service so i hope it will all go smoothly

Unfortunately i paid 50% with a bank transfer 2 months ago when i initially ordered it and the other 50% upon arrival a couple of days ago, also through a bank transfer. So calling the bank now will be a little bit too late im afraid.

It’s divable as is, just way to much room in the legs from the look of it, it will be ok in warmer water but once you start adding much air you’re going to be bubble chasing like mad. I recall suggesting Seaskin and you being adamant about wanting to have someone local to complain to, I hope that works out, I prefer to have nothing to complain about. I apologize for the told you so moment but this is a very common trap people fall into when buying diving equipment, trusting the wrong people.

I dove a grossly over size suit before finding Seaskin and it had the advantage teaching me trim and bubble control to a T also if I felt cold I could layer up with damn near every bit of cold gear I own.

I hope they take care of it for you, if not dive it and learn.

So i just got a reply from the DC owner who sold me the suit.

He says that to his eye it seems fine from the picture (which i think is ridiculous ) but i give him the benefit of the doubt because maybe the picture does not illustrate the problem well enough.

I do value his opinion a lot as he has very good reputation in the area but im afraid the sales part of it might interfere with proper judgment .

He knows i was interested in taking the dry-suit course with him so he told me to come down , well have a dive , he'll take a look in person and then we can send it back for repairs if necessary. Also that way we will know exactly what to tell them to fix *his words*

The downside is he is currently in the US and will only be coming back towards the end of December (which isnt too bad considering i was just banned from diving for 2 weeks after a root canal ... in the same day i got my drysuit... talk about timing ) but its still frustrating especially considering i was thinking of getting my course with someone else because i was so excited to use it...

I was so excited to get my suit "just in time for winter" only to have it delayed by customs for over 3 weeks and now i have to wait until the end of the month to even do the course and see if it fits... if not have to send it back... ill only get it back in summer so it will just sit and gather dust for a year when i haven't even used it...

Oh , did i mention the DC in question is 4 hours drive away?

The extra length is not the biggest problem. Being very loose around the torso, arms and legs is not good at all.
Try this:
Sit on one knee (e.g. left) and reach with your oposite arm behind your head to your (right) shoulder. This gives maximal stress to your suite. Now, every exces material or flaps hanging loose or folded around you shouldn`t be there.

For this price a descent cut suit is to be expected!

Don't believe your dealer, he is trying to avoid sitting on an unsellable suit.
As long as he has not yet given you his firstborn son as surity, do nothing with the suit - especially don't get it wet and see a lawyer, file a civil lawsuit for the entire purchse price + what your waiting time is worth.
Forget ever doing a course with this guy, he'll pee on your car like the lying dog he is. There are plenty of honest instructors to do courses with.

Michael

PS Don't let anyone touch the suit untill you get all your money back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom