Drysuit undergarments question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To layer or not to layer...

I have a DUI TLS-350 suit and LOVE IT. It was a wedding present from the wife, and came with all the bells and whistles, underwear, etc. A complete package.

As far as underwear, I have the Stretchliner 100, which works for most summer and fall diving here in TX, and the Actionwear 300, which I use for late fall through Spring. The temp ratings on the website are pretty close to accurate, at least for me, (75* and up for the Stretchliner and 45-60* for the Actionwear) though I've had each piece slightly colder than their "rating" and been fine, (at least for dives under 90 minutes, around 90 minutes I start feeling the twinges of cool.)

My current underoos work exceedingly well for Texas and other Southern waters, but I want to expand the underwear stable and be able to go anywhere in the world.

Also, the wife and I have never had a proper honeymoon and are planning one. We are going to go on an Arctic/Antarctic dive trip, (depending on season), since the poles captivate us.

So I'm looking into new underwear, and I'm wondering is it better to go with underwear intended to layer, like a thin jumpsuit against the skin and a thicker garment above it, or is a single layer temp-rated garment the way to go?

I'm not locked to "DUI-only", (though I am happy with their stuff so far, and since it was a gift, it was a bit of a "one-stop-shop"), so if anyone has any suggestions for extreme cold underoos and how to wear/layer them, I am ready.

Layering is the way to go - gives you more flexibility. I have the following for my TLS-350:

- Bare Hi-Loft Polar Extreme Suit
- Fourth Element Arctic Top/Pants
- Patagonia "Capilene 3" Top/Pants

Between the three I can create about 6-7 different combinations which cover me and my TLS-350 from low 30's up to mid 70's.

I use Adams for colder temperatures (40's) so I don't have much to add there. When I am in the 70 to 75f range - I just wear thinsulate or cotton sweats. What I do want to contribute is kudos to you. Clearly you married a great women! My wife allowed me to buy my first DUI....while yours actually bought you one! Treat that lady very well.....:thumb:

Layering is the way to go - gives you more flexibility. I have the following for my TLS-350:

- Bare Hi-Loft Polar Extreme Suit
- Fourth Element Arctic Top/Pants
- Patagonia "Capilene 3" Top/Pants

Between the three I can create about 6-7 different combinations which cover me and my TLS-350 from low 30's up to mid 70's.

Cool, thanks! I work in a shop and we are a Bare dealer, so I can get Bare stuff at a good price. What are your thoughts on their products?

The layering approach has several advantages.

One of the important is ones washing these expensive garments tends to causes a reduction in loft. A thin layer of inexpensive long johns (poly, not cotton) will absorb your sweat and can he washed as needed rather than the expensive dive garment.

The layering approach has several advantages.

One of the important is ones washing these expensive garments tends to causes a reduction in loft. A thin layer of inexpensive long johns (poly, not cotton) will absorb your sweat and can he washed as needed rather than the expensive dive garment.
Gotta agree.

Used to do a lot of diving in extremely cold water (Lake Superior), and a layer of polypro long underwear inside your undergarment is a great idea - for the reason mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom