Drysuit Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saudi-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi I have recently started diving in Scotland with a Dry Suit. I am a reasonably experienced warm water diver and I am having difficulty coming to terms with the weight I am having to use to dive my Dry suit. I am 5ft 10 of medium build and using a 4mm compressed neoprene suit with a polar fleece undersuit, a steel 12 liter faber tank and still I need 28 lb just to hold my 5m safety stop at the end of the dive. In a 3 mm shortie I only need 6lbs. I dive with the shoulder dump wide open and just add air to relieve the squeeze, I use my BCD for bouyancy control. Most of the cold water dives have been rocky shore entries and I have felt to put it politly very awkward getting kitted up and also getting in and out of the water. Once in the water everything is fine. I was hoping as I grew used to diving my drysuit the weight would come down. Perhaps I am being impatient but I have done around 20 cold water dives in the last 2 months and done a bouyancy check at the end of most dives and still need all that 28lb. My contortions to vent all the air out of my suit as we approach the 5m stop are quite funny to watch apparently! Is there anything I am missing or have I just have to be content lugging around all this Lead!

What else are you trying to sink that you weren't when diving warm? Hood? Dry gloves? How thick is you're undergarment?

Are you diving a steel backplate? That would allow you to drop 5-6 lbs from your waist.

In any event, 28 lbs. is not all that unusual.

The really poofy fleece (weezle wear, etc) is pretty floaty as it relies on a fair amount of air to loft the garment.

As long as you are venting both suit and wing, you just need what you need to get down and hold a stop at the end of the dive.

With a 7/8mm wetsuit, I need 20# of lead and a 6# backplate. Your configuration sounds about right to me.

Richard

Yup, that sounds about right. Especially with a neoprene suit you'll need about that much weight.

Consider getting yourself a steel backplate or a weight integrated BC with room for trim weights. You could also throw some weight on your tank bands to take some off your belt.

If you're finding the belt uncomfortable, a soft weight belt (bags full of lead shot) can help a great deal.

Welcome to cold water diving!

As everyone says, it sounds about right...how much lead are your dive buddies using...about the same as you?

I agree with the others about the weight. But is there a particular reason for using your BC for bouyancy and not your dry suit?

I agree, it doesn't sound like way too much weight. Some people have suggested getting a steel backplate. At first I thought that wouldn't help much because you still have to lug around the same total amount of weight. However, I've found that by distributing the weight by using a weighted steel backplate and ankle weights I was able to reduce the weight on my belt to about 12 lbs., and this has actually made the whole rig much more comfortable and easier to manage.

I wear 31 pounds of total ballast with a single steel tank in our cold water. I agree that it makes entries and exits awkward, and I tend to avoid sites that are very difficult. No rock climbing in that much gear! But it's more important to stay warm, and insulation means weight.

...is there a particular reason for using your BC for bouyancy and not your dry suit?

canofworms.jpg

Many (myself included) feel it's a better approach in most situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom