drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serdin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm inquiring as to what type of dry suits some of the PSD are using on a personal level, providing you don't have one assigned to you? Do you use a vulcanized rubber,trilam etc? And if you have different suits, do you have much trouble transitioning between suits?

Whites and Viking are the only mfg's that make a suit that can be decontaminated. The dive team I'm on is volunteer. So I started with the team, diving with what I had. I do plan on buy a Viking for my PSD diving. The difference in fit and the amount of air I need to put in suit to be comfortable. The more air in suit the more weigh I'll need. Once I have that dialed in, its a easy transition for me switching between suits. What surprised me was going from a back zip to front zip suit, was that my back zip is much much easier than front zip to get into and out of. Even zipping myself up and unzipping I find my old back zip is easier. I just got my front zip, I'm sure things will get easier as I get used to my new suit.

Whites Hazmat for on duty, Whites Fusion off duty.

The Fusions fit much more snugly around the body but are so stretchy that it's easier to move around in them than in a wetsuit. (7mm anyhow) I've owned 4 other drysuits over the years- the fusion is easily the most comfortable I've ever had.

Just getting used to the Hazmat suit- working very well so far.

Back entry on the hazmat- easy to get into but you do need help to zip up.

Front entry on the Fusion, can zip it myself most days.

Both have separate boots- use the Evo's with the hazmat- very comfortable but only a couple of fin types are big enough for size 15's. I've been using regular wetsuit boots over the fusion, works OK but I'm leaning toward going to a hard boot.

I see the White's is made of Lycra. It can be decontaminated?

oops, just saw it, the Fusion is Lycra and the Hazmat is polyurethane

Whites and Viking are the only mfg's that make a suit that can be decontaminated.

Several others do as well. USIA, Gates, Northern Diver, Amron and DUI just to mention a few.:wink:

We have Viking's in reserve for the bad HazMat dives. We weeded out the White's and now most are in USIA's with a few still in DUI TLS 350's. I'm in a DUI 50/50 with a TLS 350 and Viking in reserve. It's not to good have LEO's "IN" DUI's. hehehe

Gary D.

Last edited:
We use Viking (pain in the (*&) and DUI TLS 350's....(NICE)

Whites and Viking are the only mfg's that make a suit that can be decontaminated.

Gates Pro 1050 can be deconned also, I believe.

I have a Viking.

We have vikings, but I curious to see if others also use them or something similar on a personal level. I dont have my own dry suit for personal use and want to get something, but didnt know if I should stay with something consistant (rubber viking) or go with something else? The Fusion sounds comfortable but I didnt know if I used that all the time and then have to go to a call and switch to the viking and say awe this sucks while trying to fish a car out of the lake.

We have vikings, but I curious to see if others also use them or something similar on a personal level. I dont have my own dry suit for personal use and want to get something, but didnt know if I should stay with something consistant (rubber viking) or go with something else? The Fusion sounds comfortable but I didnt know if I used that all the time and then have to go to a call and switch to the viking and say awe this sucks while trying to fish a car out of the lake.

There is no advantage using a Viking vs a DUI getting a car out of the water..The viking is cumbersome and needs two to suit up..A front entry allows all three to suit up at the same time and be comfortable...

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom