DS material question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cecilb63

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a cold water question, air & water temps 30s or less

Of the major types of drysuit material out there, tri-lam, neo, crushed, rubber, etc., which would provide the best warmth inbetween dives?

I think you fill find they are all chilling inbetween dives because of water being evaporated off of them, a coat over the top, or unzipping it and putting on something warm is your best bet.

Trilam or rubber. The surface has no absorbent fabric so it flashes dry and that's the end of evaproative cooling. What's left is an awesome windbreak and your undergarments.

Beneath that each suit has it's respective insulating capabilities which you need to assume have been matched for the time underwater.

The neoprene suit has the distinction of having the geatest insulation on the surface since it is at full thickness (the others are static) This can make it warmer pre-dive when dry but the wetness retention negates that after the dive.

Again it all assumes that each suit has undergarments that provide equal warmth during the dive. Don't ask me how you determine that!

Pete

Keep in mind most neoprene has some type of fabric covering that holds water and will help chill you on the surface in wind.

I'd say a membrane suit is the best bet, however I'd think that any drysuit would be fine because your skin is dry and the undergarment keeps you warm. Sure you'd get a bit cooler in a neoprene suit because of the conductive effect of the clothing, but I'd bet you can't notice it easily.

Yea as long as you cover yourself appropriately in between dives you should be good to go with any drysuit.

My Hunter 1050 (rubber) suit dries completely a couple of
minutes after leaving the water. This means that on a really
cold day I could sit in my car to eat without wetting the
seats before going out for a second dive.

The warmest suit, on the deck after a dive, would be one made of full foam, smooth skin out neoprene. This is a good insulator and holds zero water for evaporative cooking. After that I suspect, would be full foam with a lycra rather than nylon exterior, but I'm not sure of the trade off between the small amount of water that lycra holds, and the insulation of the neoprene vs. a rubber suit. The coldest suits will be any suit with a heay nylon on the outside like CF200.

My Hunter 1050 (rubber) suit dries completely a couple of
minutes after leaving the water. This means that on a really
cold day I could sit in my car to eat without wetting the
seats before going out for a second dive.

Unlike myself who ends up dashing to the bogs :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom