Ds4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ok I see everyone or allot like the apeks but i keep hearing the same thing what is a DS4 and what is the diffrence than the atx 200 thanks sorry to ask so many guestions but before I fork out a grand or so i want the best and want to be sure i getting it thanks

The DS 4 is basically the same regulator as the TX 50, but it does not have the swiveled first stage. Although the swiveling first stage is very convenient for comfort, there is another O-ring that potentially can blow. I have personally not heard about a failing o-ring on the TX-50 on a well & properly served reg, but to avoid "Mufphy's law" many tech divers opt for the DS 4 instead.

Talking to the Apeks rep in Sweden, I previously got the information that the regular TX 50 first stage (with swivel) had slightly better breathing characteristics compared to the DS 4. It may howeveer be questionable if this is noticable during actual diving.

Sincerely

Anders :)

Originally posted by globaldiver
The DS 4 is basically the same regulator as the TX 50, but it does not have the swiveled first stage. Although the swiveling first stage is very convenient for comfort, there is another O-ring that potentially can blow. I have personally not heard about a failing o-ring on the TX-50 on a well & properly served reg, but to avoid "Mufphy's law" many tech divers opt for the DS 4 instead.

Talking to the Apeks rep in Sweden, I previously got the information that the regular TX 50 first stage (with swivel) had slightly better breathing characteristics compared to the DS 4. It may howeveer be questionable if this is noticable during actual diving.

Sincerely

Anders :)

I believe it's like this, dry sealed 4 outlets (DS4) dry sealed turret (DST) Unsealed 4 (US4) unsealed turret (UST)The TX-50 is a second stage, you can get the TX-50 with any of the 1st stages.
Kevin

Kevlar,

The designation TX50 is confusing because sometimes it is used to refer to the second stage only and sometimes both first and second, see quote from Apeks website below.

“The excellent cold water performance of the TX50 is due to the highly efficient heat exchanger system on the 2nd stage and the dry, environmentally sealed 1st stage. Four medium pressure ports are mounted on a swiveling turret with two high pressure ports on the body. The first stage also has a unique personal identification facility. The TX50 uses the DST first stage (AP0230) with either DIN or 'A' clamp fitting. Details of the DST first stage can be found in our technical section.”

While it is possible to order a TX50 with a different first stage (i.e. TX50/DS4) the standard configuration is a TX50/DST as noted above. If you order a “TX50” from DiveInn for example, or from my LDS, you will get a TX50/DST. If on the other hand you order a TX50/DS4 you will get a TX50/DS4.

Mike

I'm in the market for a reg, and I was wondering the same things myself.

Thanks for the quality responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom