Dsat Technical Dive Training- Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"well, I did my cavern course and it was easy. I think I can now go further back into the cave and should have no problems."

Layne

Yeah, and their first problem will be when they find out what the additional gear costs. If they were the NY Governor they'd have to make a serious "Lifestyle" vs. diving decision!:eyebrow:

I think it really depends on what the person's goals are. If they just want to go do a cavern dive while on vacation, then by all means let them do it in recreational gear. I think it is incumbent on the instructor to stress the limits of this type of training.

For those that are taking it as an intro to cave or tech, I agree with Layne. You are either willing to make the commitment to tech, or its not for you.

Clay and I actually sat at the shop and talked about this today ... he does have a point in saying that if you are doing a cavern dive on vacation ... then recreational gear is sufficient, but if you are looking at it as the beginning of the path towards cave ... then you without a doubt need to start your cavern course in the equipment you will be using throughout the courses. The problem with starting them off in recreational gear as I see it is that (like someone mentioned earlier) there are many out there who would not understand the difference between cruising around the cavern area or "just taking a peek inside." It is that peek that can snowball to another recovery out of a cave. Take a look back at the history of cave diving and such ... when you try and mainstream something that requires that specialized a skill set you open the door to those who have not achieved proficiency.

And to be perfectly honest ... if someone offered to teach me a cavern course in an area where there is no cavern I would run as fast as I could the other way and tell all I met to do the same. Simulated environment only gets you so far ... i.e. yes the diving well at UT is 18ft deep and our students get an amazing amount of practice in that depth ... it is completely different from taking them out to the lake and doing a dive to the same depth.

All this being said I am more than willing to listen to the reasons as to why a cavern class could ... or should be done in Travis. Someone should always get a chance to present their case before judgment is passed.

All this being said I am more than willing to listen to the reasons as to why a cavern class could ... or should be done in Travis. Someone should always get a chance to present their case before judgment is passed.

I had asked in several posts on this thread for the OP to further explain his course with regards to LT....no reply...?

I had asked in several posts on this thread for the OP to further explain his course with regards to LT....no reply...?

Paul made it clear that anyone interested in learning more will have to make the effort to attend the meeting on April 25th. I certainly wouldn't want to make any assumptions, but it seems to me that's the first step in weeding out those who are not as serious about the course. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if that was at least one reason why there has been no further explanation. Just a thought...

Paul made it clear that anyone interested in learning more will have to make the effort to attend the meeting on April 25th. I certainly wouldn't want to make any assumptions, but it seems to me that's the first step in weeding out those who are not as serious about the course. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if that was at least one reason why there has been no further explanation. Just a thought...

I am not driving 200 miles to hear him make a talk.... :rofl3:

I am not driving 200 miles to hear him make a talk.... :rofl3:

I figured that much...but then you'll probably not drive 200 miles for the class either, right? :wink:

I imagine you'll have to wait for someone who went to the meeting to post information about it.

Spot on. And in the meantime the speculation has made for a diverting read- plus has, in some cases, illustrated some interesting perceptions on training standards.

I figured that much...but then you'll probably not drive 200 miles for the class either, right? :wink:

I imagine you'll have to wait for someone who went to the meeting to post information about it.

If you could, please video tape the shop presentation....and post for all to view! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom