DSLR Plan: 60D, 7D, T3i / housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divertimmy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the market for a DSLR and want to plan ahead and get the best choice for underwater photography, including the best housing choices. So I have two questions:

1. Is a 60D, 7D, or the new T3i the better choice? I'm leaning toward the 7D for the faster FPS, but underwater I can only shoot as fast as my YS-01 strobes anyway.

2. I'd rather not run cables into my housing and heard that some of the newer housings are allowing the internal flash to come up, making an optical cable system usable. Which housings allow this, and for which cameras (assuming the T3i will have comparable housings to the T2i)?

I won't be able to pick up anything but the camera this summer, but it's always good to plan ahead. Thanks in advance for any advice!

divertimmy,

Here's my take on using all 3 models...OK, mainly including real world use of the Canon T2i but soon I'll be able to play with a T3i when they come out at my local camera place.

Canon 7D is super fast, 100% viewfinder but heavy and expensive. As you say you won't use 8 FPS (frames per second) underwater unless you shoot something like I had to on my recent BLOG post at www.ikelite.com .

Bottom pf page: Ikelite Product Blog

The Canon T3i will be a hit with many features from the current T2i plus 60D. More features for surface shooting such as wireless TTL flash with specific Canon EX flash units. It still will have a Penta-MIRROR viewfinder which I have used in every generation Rebel to make fine pictures. Max frame rate is like 3.7 FPS.....

The already discounted 60 D has a 96% Penta-PRISM viewfinder which is brighter and why I currently chose one versus the 7D. It's lighter than the 7D, uses SD memory (I have a ton of these versus Compact Flash for the 7D) and is a slightly heavier build feeling than the T2i (same for T3i soon).

The 60D also can do 5.3 FPS if you want to shoot some sports type action and has a 9 point more advanced AF system than the T3i.

I chose the 60D for the price point and brighter viewfinder plus wireless surface flash I needed for a project. I've shot 4000+ frames with it and love it....

Right now Canon 60D bodies are going for $890.00, barely more than what the new T3i will sell at opening.

I think Canon will sell a ton of T3i bodies and it will serve 99% of shooters allowing you to have more money for better lenses.

I've always recommended buying a lighter body and spending more for lenses. A lighter camera also means you'll take it with you more and shoot more.

Just my 2 cents, and I freely admit to selling Ikelite housings with hard wired TTL circuitry in them coupled with ikelite DS series Substrobes for great results.

I've put people in all manner Rebels, 7D, 5D MK II and Nikon D80, D90, D300, D700 and now D7000 bodies.....Once you use a dSLR underwater it's hard to shoot with anything else!

Good luck :)

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Last edited:
I have been researching the same decision for the last several months.

I have decided to go the rout of the T2i because of size weight and price point. For me it just made sense. Eighteen MP stills at ~4 FPS is plenty for UW and then HD vids at 30 FPS at 1080P. :D Great performance in a very light compact DSLR.

That camera size translated into a smaller and lighter housing. Weight is less important but in a current the smaller housing is a consideration.

I would agree with David on the 60D. Great price point if you are using the camera for UW as well as air shooting. Great compromise for achieve excellent performance in both situations. I am fortunate that I can just switch to my 5D MKII when I hit the beach so I had a little easier decision and size became a bigger consideration. If not for the 5D I would probably have gone with the 60D for the reasons given by David.

BT

Back
Top Bottom