Dss smb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I receive my DSS SMB 2 weeks ago in the mail and just dove with it last weekend. I was using another brand and larger SMB and it was difficult to deploy from depth or fill on the surface. The DSS SMB was very easy to deploy. You can inflate it with just 1 breath. My buddy saw how easy it was to deploy and wants one. It is more expensive than other SMB but I think it is worth the price. I still carry my larger SMB incase the seas are rough and I need a bigger SMB.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see a second comparison against the 3.3' Halcyon. I only saw one but that made me go with the Halcyon. Does anyone near Monterey, CA, have the DSS and we could play switcharoo?

I would like to hear your thoughts on it, if you do get to compare them :)

I got a chance to use my new DSS SMB this weekend. I'm IMPRESSED!

I had been diving with a DAN 6' SMB, but wasn't happy with the amount of pocket space it took up, the amount of air it took at depth and the difficulty of having it stand up.

So, based upon many positive reviews, I bought Tobin's version. I loved the way it easily fit in my drysuit pocket.

This weekend I was diving at Pt. Pinos, just off of Monterey. When we entered the water the day's calm was broken by a bit a breeze, just it was still a nice, calm day. During the dive, we managed to lose track of which pinnacle the anchor was on and I shot the SMB for our ascent. It was very easy to deploy and manage underwater.

I had no issues during the ascent at all.

At the surface, however, all Hell was breaking lose. Full gale force winds were blowing, with sustained winds well above 40 mph, and very large, rough seas. The wind was blowing the tops off of the wave crests and there was no way to breath at the surface without a reg. I could only see the boat (directly upwind from, of course) when we were both on crests.

The others were able to swim to the boat, but try as I might I couldn't make any progress and resigned to have to wait for the boat to recover the rest of the divers and weigh anchor to come get me.

During my wait, the DSS SMB was nice and stiff, though I had to "prop it up" at the base with my free hand. I was very bright and the DM and Captain reported that it was very easy to see and track.

I know that I would not have been able to have my giant DAN SMB stand up in that wind.

Once on the boat (WHEW!!!), the DSS SMB was very easy to deflate and restow.

Thanks for another great product, Tobin.

I have the Halcyon 3 footer, I don't like it very much, I don't like that the oral inflator is metal, maybe I have small lungs but it takes two breathes to inflate and if I'm not careful the metal inflator hits my teeth, I'm scared one day I'm going to chip my teeth. I could use my inflator hose I guess, perhaps I just need more practise, a bad workman blaming his tools and all that. Still I'd like to try the DSS SMB, I've had my eye on one for a while, but with the associated international freight charge it's a little expensive for me at the moment.

I have the Halcyon 3.3 ft. SMB and the DSS one.
They are both easy for me to inflate, although the DSS SMB does only take 1 good breath to fill it up.

I actually like the Halcyon inflator tube/mouth piece. What I like about it is that you don't have to press against it with your lips. You can just inflate it. I had a cheaper SMB years ago, that had a plastic mouthpiece that you had to press against with your lips while inflating it.

The DSS is just too easy to inflate, the mouth piece that they use is different than all the other ones out there. DSS also uses a different type of OPV. It's a flat piece of clear rubber, with a slot in it. This works just fine, and it is flat so the SMB rolls up very small.

I like them both, but if I had to recommend one it would probably be the DSS.

*Easy inflation.
*Small stowed size.

Cheers,

-Mitch

Last edited:
I have the Halcyon 3.3 ft. SMB and the DSS one.
They are both easy for me to inflate, although the DSS SMB does only take 1 good breath to fill it up.

I actually like the Halcyon inflator tube/mouth piece. What I like about it is that you don't have to press against it with your lips. You can just inflate it. I had a cheaper SMB years ago, that had a plastic mouthpiece that you had to press against with your lips while inflating it.

The DSS is just too easy to inflate, the mouth piece that they use is different than all the other ones out there. DSS also uses a different type of OPV. It's a flat piece of clear rubber, with a slot in it. This works just fine, and it is flat so the SMB rolls up very small.

I like them both, but if I had to recommend one it would probably be the DSS.

*Easy inflation.
*Small stowed size.

Cheers,

-Mitch

does the DSS SMB require you to press against the inflator?

Just received mine, really nice smb, just a blow in the inflator, really easy. OPV valve is so flat, the smb roll in one hand.Shipping via USPS.
Thanks DSS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom