DSS Wing / Inflator Hose Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLonghorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I dive with a DSS BP/W and love it. I am leaving for my first trip to Bonaire July 7th. So I went out to our local dive site here in Dallas to get wet and do a pre-trip check out dive. I am setting up my tank and stuff and go to get my BP/W to put on the tank and I see my inflator hose is just laying on top of my wing. Don't know how that happened, so I pick up my inflator hose with the intention of screwing it back on, but to my surpeise, the screw post is still screwed into the inflator hose and it appears as though this screw post has broken off of the rubber gasket that connects the bladder to the wing and ultimately the inflator hose. I don't know how it happened, but I do have a 4 year old who REALLY likes all of my scuba stuff...any way I am going to call DSS tomorrow and I am sure they will help me out, but here is my question(s).

It seems as though this rubber gasket / screw post might be a point of failure, the traditional BCs that utilize the inflator hose as a dump valve seem to be a bit more secure in its connection to the BC, but i would assume that is because of the dump valve aspect (being yanked on). Is this a commom point of failure or is mine a fairly isolated case? Has anybody else run into this issue?Is this a commom point of failure or is mine a fairly isolated case? Has anybody else run into this issue?

Thanks

Thanks

A picture would be nice -- I'm having issues visualizing exactly what you're describing. I don't know of anyone who has ripped their corrugated hose off their DSS rig, though. And no, the 'pull-dump' hoses where you yank them to dump air from the point where the corrugated hose connects to the wing are NOT more secure. They use the same connection as the ones that don't have this "feature".

In fact, the DSS connections have always been much tighter and more secure than anything I've ever used.

You might want to post this here in forum specific to DSS equipment here on ScubaBoard...

The rubber gasket on the left is supposed to have the screw post connected (middle item). The gasket (probably wrong word) then connects the inside bladder to the wing and the inflator hose then screws onto the screw post.

Attachments

• Rubber gasket inflator hose.jpg
    Rubber gasket inflator hose.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 84
  • wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 76
Well, we have three DSS wings in the household, with an aggregate of several hundred dives on them, and have had no similar problems.

Never had a problem with my DSS rig. Which wing is it? The last thing I'd be worried about is not having it fixed or a new wing in time for your trip. Tobin's customer service is the best in the business.

Its a single tank setup with the 40 wing and Oh,I love my setup and have 100% confidence that Tobin will get my rig complete before my trip. It was just one of those things that happens and it makes one think...huh how did that happen?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom