dual bladder wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am making move to doubles. LP 85's and LP 98's. Maybe double Al 80's.
No dry suit, wet suit only, no stage bottles. And I don't subscribe to all the DIR philosophies.
I think this is the right forum even though I don't plan on entering a cave.
Looking at the Oxy 50#, OMS 60# and DiveRite 51# dual bladder wings.
I am 5-11 195# and figure that 50# is plenty. Most neoprene I dive with is 3 mil with a vest.
I am looking for input on the 3 manufacturers. My legs and feet tend to be negative.
Thanks in advance.

Splitlip:
No dry suit, wet suit only, no stage bottles. And I don't subscribe to all the DIR philosophies.
I am 5-11 195# and figure that 50# is plenty. Most neoprene I dive with is 3 mil with a vest.
I am looking for input on the 3 manufacturers. My legs and feet tend to be negative.
Thanks in advance.

SL,

Without all the info I'm guessing a bit, but I suspect that with AL80's, and even the steel's you don't need 50+ lbs of wing lift. a 3mm suit doesn't have much initial buoyancy to loose.

With a lightweight plate, and buoyant tanks you will need a weight belt, you may still with the 85's which are only about 1 lbs negative empty. Why the redundant wing?

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
SL,

Without all the info I'm guessing a bit, but I suspect that with AL80's, and even the steel's you don't need 50+ lbs of wing lift. a 3mm suit doesn't have much initial buoyancy to loose.

With a lightweight plate, and buoyant tanks you will need a weight belt, you may still with the 85's which are only about 1 lbs negative empty. Why the redundant wing?

Tobin

In addition with

I had actually PM'd Bob (Grateful Diver) about his 40#.
I am think that I have just purchased a set of double 85#'s.

The folks who are helping me with this "plunge" all recommend reduntant bladders and the 3 I mentioned are available to me locally.

edit: Thinking about the swim up with full bottles too

Splitlip:
Thanks in advance.

I'm a huge fan of Dive Rite's Classic Wing which I've been using for years. They just recently released a dual bladder version, it's very simple, has no bungees and it swims just like the original. If you decide to go with a dual bladder wing, I'd highly recommend it....

Safe diving,

Rich

Why does this belong in the Cave Diving forum if you don't plan to enter caves?

Anyway, those are all good wing choices. Pick one, you'll be more than pleased.

My opinion (not the most popular around here) is that enough lift is crucial and more is always better. Might need to retrieve a small anchor or a buddy's overboard gear some time, and a lift bag is not always the most convenient way.

theskull

theskull:
Why does this belong in the Cave Diving forum if you don't plan to enter caves?

theskull

Because it is extreme diving. My experience talking with Cavers, they seem to know their ****, formulate their own opinions and don't seem to subscribe to any regimented
philosphy.
I plan on taking a cavern class.
I figured a technical forum was the right place to post and already know the DIR answer.

Moving something heavy while using your wing for lift is a dangerous solution to the problem. Pray that you don't lose your grip on that anchor!

A wing that is oversized will make venting annoying, at a minimum, and the extra material can effect your gas consumption and increase the possibility of snags.

Use the right gear for the job.

Splitlip:
Because it is extreme diving. My experience talking with Cavers, they seem to know their ****, formulate their own opinions and don't seem to subscribe to any regimented
philosphy.
I plan on taking a cavern class.
I figured a technical forum was the right place to post and already know the DIR answer.

Good answer. I like the way you think.

theskull

PfcAJ:
Moving something heavy while using your wing for lift is a dangerous solution to the problem. Pray that you don't lose your grip on that anchor!

A wing that is oversized will make venting annoying, at a minimum, and the extra material can effect your gas consumption and increase the possibility of snags.

Use the right gear for the job.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm talking a 12-pounder, not a wreck treasure; I can drop it (but won't) and still recover control. More likely it will be a 12-pound weight belt that I am recovering for some diver who uses ditchable weights.

There is some venting that I find annoying, but never that of air from my wing. :wink:

For most of us, the right gear for the job is the gear that we use, that gets the job done comfortably and reliably. Not what the vocal minority deems proper.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom