DIR- Generic dual bladder wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What’s wrong with that?

That’s kind of a reasonable thing.

I'll be happy to be corrected but, here are just a couple of points.

1. DIR don't do solo dives. Or at least not on dives which would be challenging/big dives for the divers.
- as such, if on a tech dive, my buddy's deco bottle reg explodes and all that gas is unusable, the first answer wouldn't be to deco out on backgas alone. If possible, we would alternate on my deco bottle. This is how I was trained anyway though I have never had to put into practice, thankfully.

2. 80% is not a standard gas. Or it wasn't when I was trained. I appreciate that there might be times where you gotta use what is available but the initial answer is, the standard choices for deco gases on a tech 1 dive are 50% or O2 depending on what depths the divers are going to.

3. The context of the discussion is on a tech 1 dive. Or at least, that was the context I was participating in. Tech 1 only gives you one deco gas on a dive. You get the second deco gas in Tech 2. Since then there are these Tech1+ upgrades or whatever so maybe you get a second deco gas now, I dunno. I will say that many of the tech 2 guys prefer to do the deeper 'tech 1' dives and bring 2 deco gasses but again, that is only an option if you have tech 2 training (or tech 1+ or any of the new smorgasbord of classes that seem to be available now).

Happy to be corrected. Wouldn't be the first time today that I was wrong.

Ooops! Thanks

Changed to standard deco gasses :cool:

Haha. I dunno. I think I am about to learn something new today.

I'll be happy to be corrected but, here are just a couple of points.

1. DIR don't do solo dives. Or at least not on dives which would be challenging/big dives for the divers.
- as such, if on a tech dive, my buddy's deco bottle reg explodes and all that gas is unusable, the first answer wouldn't be to deco out on backgas alone. If possible, we would alternate on my deco bottle. This is how I was trained anyway though I have never had to put into practice, thankfully.

2. 80% is not a standard gas. Or it wasn't when I was trained. I appreciate that there might be times where you gotta use what is available but the initial answer is, the standard choices for deco gases on a tech 1 dive are 50% or O2 depending on what depths the divers are going to.

3. The context of the discussion is on a tech 1 dive. Or at least, that was the context I was participating in. Tech 1 only gives you one deco gas on a dive. You get the second deco gas in Tech 2. Since then there are these Tech1+ upgrades or whatever so maybe you get a second deco gas now, I dunno. I will say that many of the tech 2 guys prefer to do the deeper 'tech 1' dives and bring 2 deco gasses but again, that is only an option if you have tech 2 training (or tech 1+ or any of the new smorgasbord of classes that seem to be available now).

Happy to be corrected. Wouldn't be the first time today that I was wrong.
I’d suggest that most of our training revolves around being able to manage 2 major failures. Min gas is an example. It takes 2 big failures to require you to share gas from the bottom.

A failure of a deco bottle is of course solved by sharing with your buddy, but in event of two failures (say, deco bottle and lost buddy), you really need enough gas to manage that ascent.

For t1 dives, the volume needed to deco on back gas iuuusstt so happens to be about the same as what you have in reserve for minimum gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom