DUI Rock boots and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel that DUI's boot options are lacking.

The concept of the rock boot is nice for some of the really uneven, sharp, rocky surfaces here. My turbosoles have really taken a beating, and it is hard to get any good support from these house slippers. I think they are perfect for boat dives or short, uneventful entries.

I'd rather see the option of an integrated boot that is durable and fits well, I have heard that this is indeed an option at DUI, but not expercised often. Here in Japan, MObbys (and other MFGS) have integrated boots, with protetion all the way up to the knees. Looks a little like the boots from an old KISS album (minus the high heels) but they look really good for rocky entries/exits.

Are you noticing that there are people here claiming that they know what they are talking about with diametrically opposing statements? Rock boots are DIR vs. they are not, etc.? Just goes to show that you should check a little further than to just blindly trust what someone on the Internet tells you.

This being said, I will tell you about some of the things I did when I ordered my new TLS350, which should be arriving in about a week. Where possible, I will tell you if this has any DIR relevance as I understand it. However, don't trust me either! Check it out for yourself. :wink:

Zip seals: I ordered them. Perhaps I am taking a chance on them. If that is the case, I will change them back to the standar seals. DIR: I believe that the jury is out on this one. Pros: If you tear a seal while on a trip, you can change it in five minutes on the dive boat. That's why I bought them. If they don't leak for you, keep using them.

Pockets: Yes, Lord George did say that one should have the flat pocket on the right side, with only Wet Notes in them. He also said to get a bellows pocket on the left since that is in the zone where stages keep the pocket covered enough that it won't create additional drag. However, this is old news and, I believe, an outdated DIR position that is no longer in vogue.

I routinely dive with GUE instructors, and all have bellows pockets on both sides. I made the mistake of buying a Halcyon flat pocket for my right side on my wetsuit, and it is useless for anything other than carrying WetNotes. Advice: get bellows pockets on both sides with velcro closures (not the zippered ones). Get DUI to put CF200 backing on the pockets. Also, if you measure where your fingertips come to from the floor, they will adjust the height of the pockets accordingly.

Zipper: Though I do not believe there is an official DIR position on this, DUI now makes a new zipper that closes from bottom to top, and wraps far behind the torso. Most people instruct DUI to use the old style zipper the closes from top to bottom. My understanding is that the new zipper takes too much of a beating when you are bending over due to how it wraps in front to behind the torso.

Pee valve: I do not believe that there is an official side per DIR on which to place it. Since my old suit has it on the left, I went with the left. After talking to a bunch of people that started to get heavy wear around the base, I am getting DUI to add CF200 backing to mine.

Exhaust valve: I opted to have mine put in the right side. Since I control the scooter with my right hand, I will have my arm in position to vent as I ascend. On the other hand, I will still have to hit the wing exhaust with the left arm. It probably doesn't matter all that much. But, why not make things a little easier? DIR: I don't believe there is an official position on this.

Rock boots: I am not sure, one way or the other of the "official" position on this. I knew I would never buy them, so I never checked into it all that much. I have turbo soles on my 350, and I see no reason to get anything else.

Valves: Some people like the standard Apeks valves. However, it seems like many more like the SiTech valves. I have heard nothing bad about the SiTechs. However, I have heard of at least 30 percent of the people complaining about the Apeks having problems. So, I went with SiTech. I do not believe there is an official DIR position about this. I could be wrong here.

Other options: I had a CF200 crotch pad added after a bunch of people that scooter a lot had leaks occuring from their tow straps. I also got them to add a cordura butt pad.

I got them to add cordura from the knees down to the turbo sole boot tops to keep my suit from getting sliced up on a wreck. This is an option that they put on a suit that they sell in Europe but not the US. That suit is called the Explorer. There, they actually wrap the cordura around back of the calves, but I am told by them that they can't do the same thing here in the US. They are coming as close to the Explorer version on my suit as they can make it, they tell me.

In the end, I would forget too much about being a DIR model. The only reason to look into it is that these people heavily use drysuits, and I would think that they have figured out most things through such a vast experience level.

One last thing, you can tell DUI to put the "WKPP options" on your suit. That is a DIR as it comes, and they know about all of the options and can explain them to you. I have spoken with them a few times when getting ready to place my order, and they were very helpful and friendly about it. With DUI, you pay but you will get attention and service.

I know this is a nerve wracking decision for you. I feel your pain as I just went through this. I posted here and in other places, PM'd everyone I saw that owned these suits, and sent email to a ton of people with questions. I paid two seperate tailors to measure me, and then I got an instructor friend to do it, one more time, before placing my order. Not only did I do this, but I even got measured in my thinsulate as well as in shorts and tee shirt (that's three times of each), and I gave all of these measurements like this, both ways, to DUI along with a four page letter of explanation with charts when I placed my order. No kidding! How often do you plunk down this kind of money? I was nervous, too. :11: I wanted to make sure of everything.

My ETA for my new drysuit arrival is May 15. I am psyched. I hope it comes out like I want.

ScubaDadMiami:
Pee valve: I do not believe that there is an official side per DIR on which to place it. Since my old suit has it on the left, I went with the left.

only strokes wear the p-valve on the left. if you look at the players who go downtown its all on the right. if you see a bunch of left side p-valves, you know you're in the star wars cantina.

lamont:
only strokes wear the p-valve on the left. if you look at the players who go downtown its all on the right. if you see a bunch of left side p-valves, you know you're in the star wars cantina.
or maybe they are right handed

I looked at it more like: I am scootering with my right hand, so I can just reach down and open my bolt with the left. I guess the DIR gods have yet another reason to strike me. :11:

jagfish:
Kinda curious on the scootering idea...
I have just begun getting into scootering a bit. Usually, we hold it only with the right hand, when the scooter cord is properly anchored to the crotch ring. In this case, the vent on the right arm would not be useful. What is the reasoning on the right arm for scootering?

JAG

recent post from El Guapo on left/right exhuast valves follows. it doesn't sound like there's much of a mandate from him for either position while scootering. no responses I could find from casey or anyone on how the WKPP or EKPP does things, so this is all i could find. there's probably more in the quest archives, but i don't have access to them...

Date: Sun Feb 6, 2005 11:08 am
Subject: RE: [gavinscooters] Re: Dump Valve

Mine are on the right, but if they were on the left you would not have to take your right hand off the hammer to manually deflate. You can work it either way - to manually deflate with it on the left, you switch hands on the scooter so now the scooter and light are in the left hand. To do it with the button on the right, you just move the light to the right hand with the scooter before deflating.

In real life, you should not have to get too carried away with manual deflation if the valve is in the correct position , the suit is on automatic and you merely roll right and flex once in a while when ascending, or merely go a bit vertical from time to time on the ascent.

In any case, you always have to anticipate buoyancy needs in both directions so that there is never any catching up to do.

lamont:

Sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom