DUI TLS Signature Series: Moisture issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hot Dog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought the TLS about 4 years ago. It has served reasonable well. However, I have noticed throughout its use that my entire ouerware seemed moist after a dive. Not an issue of a leak.I then switched to a weezle extreme undersuit (I dive in new England so 44 to 55 degrees ). I have recently noticed with the weezle that the outside of the weezle is moist, nay seemingly wet, after a dive. When suiting up it is hot and I am sweating. All the undergarments wick away from me. With the hotter temp on the surface and the cold temp in the water it seems it cllects moisture on the inside of the suit (TLS is like a garbage bag). Just to make sure I had Mark at Superior Dry Suit repair (ibn my humble he does a great job) to check for leaks. He did and returned it certifying leak free. Dove again, moist/wet again. The moisture is head to toe and even so it seems to be that perhaps sweat, hot and cold moisture creation I do not know.

Has anyone experienced this with this suit? Is this what usually happens in these thin TLS suits?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

HD

asuming you are diving in the ocean an easy way to see where the water is coming from is to taste it. Yes sweat may have some salt but not near as much as salt water. Also when you are leaking salt water it will usually leave salt stains on your undergarments.

That is normal. Your body gives off moisture and what is not wicked by your undergarments will build up as condensation. Also, difference in temperature. Take a cold pitcher of liquid out of the fridge and place it on the counter in the summer and see what happens to the outside of the pitcher.

I recently purchased a used TLS 350 dry suit to compliment a heavier crushed neoprene suit I had been diving previously. After patching several small leaks, I too have noticed the same kind of moisture on the outside of my undergarment which also happens to be a Weezle Extreme. Never noticed this much moisture diving the crushed neoprene suit. The moisture is only on the outer layer of the undergarment and as Aqua-Andy said earlier, it dries without salty residue. I'm thinking it's a combination of condensation and sweat.

The good news is it dries fairly quickly after a dive if you hang the undergarment upright or wear it around for a short while after doffing your dry suit.

DUI had a recall from a bad bolt of fabric they had a few years back. I don't recall the details but you can check the website and see if your suit was involved with that.

DUI had a recall from a bad bolt of fabric they had a few years back. I don't recall the details but you can check the website and see if your suit was involved with that.

This.

My TLS350 does the same thing. When I get out the inside is damp.

Could be a combination of sweat, water from dump valve or the little trickles from the seals as you move your head and neck.

The better the wicking performance of the undergarment, the more moisture you will notice on the inside of the suit. It's most noticeable on materials that are very smooth, and less obvious on the inside of, for example, compressed neoprene. But it is entirely normal.

Has anyone experienced this with this suit? Is this what usually happens in these thin TLS suits?

It's sweat and any drysuit will do this.

Whether you notice it or not, and how much you notice depends on how much you sweat and the properties of your underwear.

Some underwear wicks it away from your skin to the outside, which makes the outside feel damp, while others hold it inside the insulation, which means you feel it less, although you probably also lose a little insulation.

It's nothing to be concerned about.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom