DUI vs. My Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshoerider

Reaction score
Good Evening all:

Ok, I've got a sort of moral dilemma here that I could use some opinions on how to handle.

I'm a pretty new diver (OW cert about 2 months ago). The LDS that I went though has been nothing but straight shooters, honest to a fault sometimes. Generally all around good guys (and women) who just like to get wet.

I live in PA, and I realized pretty early on that if I really wanted to persue diving in this area, I'd have to get a drysuit. So I poked around, asked around, and ended up with a slightly older DUI CF200X and 300 weight undergarment for, well...a good deal. Less than half of what a new suit would cost. The guy I purchased it from was getting out of diving, and said the suit had performed perfectly the last time it was in the water (about 2 years ago). It looks to be in great shape, no tears, wears, holes, etc. Just a sharp looking (and well-fitting) suit.

I took it to my LDS to evaluate the suit, check the waterproof zipper, things like that. They came back a few days later and said that the zipper was leaking like swiss cheese and there were damp spots in the left arm, indicating the fabric was wearing out. :(

Needless to say, I wasn't too happy to hear this. So, I send it back to DUI to see how much repairs would run me. To my utter shock, they called me shortly after I sent it and asked for my return address. They leak-tested it, and found a few pinholes in the left arm and patched them, but other than that, the suit was good to go! I specifically asked them about the zipper, and they said there was nothing wrong with it, and (as is their norm) would send a copy of the test report with the suit.
The suit came back today, and sure enough...the report says, in nice black and white "no leaks found".

My dilemma: My LDS says the suit leaks. DUI says it is fine. Once I hit the water I'll know for sure, but the question remains: why would my LDS tell me the suit was shot to hell when it really wasn't? I know the simple answer would be "so they can sell me a suit".

My question to all of you: How hard is it to leak-test a suit? I'm not familiar at all with the process, so if it's easy to screw up, ok...they messed up a bit. We're all human, so I certainly can accept that. But if it's a simple thing to do.....then I have some real questions for them. I just don't want to go in there half-cocked without some background knowledge first.

Thanks!
-Chris

Chris,
Welcome to the board and the LDS world.
No, checking a drysuit for leaks isn't difficult. Yes, the LDS could have messed up. Go try the suit. So what if you get wet on your back or through the arm. The proof is in the diving. If you're taking a class through your LDS ask them where those defects where that they found.
Just let them know that once-shame on them, twice-shame on you.
Your experience isn't unique. Stick around on this board and you'll hear some betteer ones.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Looks like you will be looking for a new dive shop.

Not alot of dive shops have the proper setup to leak test suits... DUI (as one of the world's largest drysuit manufacturer) has an extensive repair department, with the proper equipment to leak test a suit.

I would trust DUI in this case. SOunds like your LDS is trying to rip you off, or they are pissed cause you bought a used suit instead of from them, so they are sticking it to you...

This kind of behavior drives me nuts. I dont know why LDS's would do that to piss a customer off, and send out bad reports about them...

BTW, whats the name of the shop???? and what town is it in in PA????

I've used the DUI repair facility for years. They are expert. Trust them. I'd go to your LDS and show them the DUI report. Let them explain the report and see how they react. I wouldn't get to paranoid on them. They may not know as much as they think about a DUI suit. they could have gotten water in the suit during a teat and thought it was the zipper.

DUI is thorough- but give the LDS a chance to explain. If they slam DUI- go find yourself another LDS.

you'll love the DUI- properly cared for- it will last thousands- yes thousands of dives.

shep

My dilemma: My LDS says the suit leaks. DUI says it is fine. Once I hit the water I'll know for sure, but the question remains: why would my LDS tell me the suit was shot to hell when it really wasn't? I know the simple answer would be "so they can sell me a suit".

My question to all of you: How hard is it to leak-test a suit? I'm not familiar at all with the process, so if it's easy to screw up, ok...they messed up a bit. We're all human, so I certainly can accept that. But if it's a simple thing to do.....then I have some real questions for them. I just don't want to go in there half-cocked without some background knowledge first.

Thanks!
-Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

Chris,
if you have some real questions for your LDS, then go and ask them. The process of testing a suit is not overly difficult if one uses the right tools, techniques, etc.

I have been dealing with DUI for over 15 years and have always found them to be reputable, but they do miss things. 2 of the last 4 DUI Custom suits I have sold have had issues.

As you have said no one is perfect and a bunch of "straight shooters" are not out to just sell you a suit.

Jeff

All:

Thanks for your input on the matter. Hopefully I'll be able to get in the water next weekend to find out who made the mistake. I realize that DUI isn't perfect, nor is my dive shop. Either way, someone is going to have a few questions asked to them.
I would be diving right now, but there is this little issue of a head cold....Ugh.

As for the question about what dive shop it is and where it's located....I'd rather not say quite yet. Once I know the whole story, then I'll consider mentioning who they are. It's a shop that I'm sure at least a few people go to, and I'd rather not give them any bad press for they certainly don't deserve it (at least not quite yet).

Chances are I'll be up at Dutch Springs, and the water there should still be plenty cold to find a leak!

Thanks again!
-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom