Dumb doubles question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been told many times not to lift the sets by the manifold. The cave instructors at Zero G in Mexico routinely carry them that way. Go figure.

their aluminum 80s are a lot lighter than your steel 120s, but the crossover is about the same strength :)

Sh!ttt, I have been carrying my double by the cross bar since I have them. Maybe I should stop doing it.

There are no dumb questions.

Why do people say that? It's just not true.

:d

26359.strip.gif

Guys, I've been carrying doubles for nearly two decades by the manifold. There's no issue. To really drive home this fact...

A few years ago, there were some cave divers driving to cave country on I-75 in their small pickup truck. The exit for High Springs involves driving around around a very sharp exit circle that is supposed to be navigated at I think 25mph. Well, these cave divers managed to flip their truck, throwing a set of doubles more than 100 yards away. The bands on the doubles broke, and the tanks looked like they formed the letter "R". One tank bent 90 degrees from the other tank. The manifold didn't fail. They lost no air from the set of tanks. Granted the manifold was bent into an elbow.

I'm certain you're not putting THAT much stress on the manifold by lifting the tanks by it.

Guys, I've been carrying doubles for nearly two decades by the manifold. There's no issue. To really drive home this fact...

A few years ago, there were some cave divers driving to cave country on I-75 in their small pickup truck. The exit for High Springs involves driving around around a very sharp exit circle that is supposed to be navigated at I think 25mph. Well, these cave divers managed to flip their truck, throwing a set of doubles more than 100 yards away. The bands on the doubles broke, and the tanks looked like they formed the letter "R". One tank bent 90 degrees from the other tank. The manifold didn't fail. They lost no air from the set of tanks. Granted the manifold was bent into an elbow.

I'm certain you're not putting THAT much stress on the manifold by lifting the tanks by it.

what brand of manifold? I want one of those :)

what brand of manifold? I want one of those :)

I'd be guessing. But they are all very similar in make

Back
Top Bottom