Dumped my weights, found my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a little trouble trying to get down with my drysuit and my bcd. It felt like I couldn't get all the air out of my drysuit when I would attempt to go down and I didn't seem to stay down. I'm glad to hear break water is good to practice this as I will keep doing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

An old and tattered topic. I dive with people who follow both the DS for bouyancy, and those who use their wing. I agree with Peter, use what you are comfortable and trained to use. I use my DS as it keeps me from trying to manage two bouyant systems. I leave my exhaust valve almost all the way open, only closing it when I need to take a photograph in the upright position in the water column. Venting is easy and quick. Some of my primary buddies use the wing for bouyancy, with equal success. So again, use what you are trained with, practice with, and are comfortable with is my two psi for whatever thats worth.

There is the possibility of rubbing / bumping the exhaust valve at least partially closed. So it's a good plan to check the valve position before ascending even if you never intentionally throttle the exhaust valve.

If you can think of other lessons we should learn, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Hi Bill,

Glad everything turned out OK, weights can be replaced.

Another lesson you should get from your experience is:
Keep your reg in your mouth whilst in the water.

I'm going to be controversial. Until you can control the gas bubble in one item, your Dry-suit, for your buoyancy don't start using a second, the BC/wing.

Secondly, a dry-suit needs to be driven. If your talking about the adjustable valve on your shoulder then its a constant volume valve, not a dump valve (which are normally on the wrist and non-adjustable). I fully open the valve to do the initial decent, but then close in completely and wind it back 8 clicks so any expansion of the bubble will vent off (I've had other suits which only required 6 clicks – it depends on the strength of the spring). Once back on the surface I fully close the valve to retain any gas I put in, but still inflate my BC and keep my reg in.

The biggest issues with dry-suits is instructors whom over weight their students to guarantee they sink. It was extreme, but I once took 10Kg off one student to get them neutral. The test is to be just able to stay down at 2m with less than 50bar in the tank and no gas in the dry-suit or BC. There are loads of 'calculations' used to find the right buoyancy with a full tank, but in my experience the only reliable test is to do the empty tank test. Did that a few weeks ago with a Dive Leader student.

I normally use my dry-suit for buoyancy (8mm neoprene) only when diving below 35m do I also use the BC. Therefore in most situations I only have one buoyancy item to drive.

Re-enforcing what others have said about the buddy check. Even after 35+ years and diving with more experienced people than myself I still occasionally find things that aren’t right. Crocheted hoses, undone clips, open zips, tangled lines, closed cylinders, etc, not forgetting the forgotten weight-belt.

Anyway, most agencies have some sort of buoyancy class/workshop/course. I run the BSAC one twice a year. A little selfish, but it helps remind me to check my own weighting as my equipment configuration changes over time.

Kind regards

When I'm diving BM doubles (which is almost never since the CCR) I put the LP Hose to the Inflator in the eye of a Bolt Snap. I then clip that bolt snap to the chest d-ring. It never escapes.

I don't understand how you can vent the wing when the inflator hose is clipped to the D ring. Unless perhaps you only vent via the rear dump valve.

My DSS BPW came with a piece of bicycle tube band around the left shoulder strap. The LP inflator hose goes through this band before connecting to the power inflator. That keeps the unit from getting lost on me but also allows me to elevate the power inflator to vent the wing.

I don't understand how you can vent the wing when the inflator hose is clipped to the D ring. Unless perhaps you only vent via the rear dump valve.

My DSS BPW came with a piece of bicycle tube band around the left shoulder strap. The LP inflator hose goes through this band before connecting to the power inflator. That keeps the unit from getting lost on me but also allows me to elevate the power inflator to vent the wing.

Me too, Hog wing / plate with Light Monkey basic harness.

Now I know why I'm still single... in 52 years of diving I've never dumped my weights and therefore haven't found a wife! Just teasing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom