Dutch Springs April 6th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you like Jill at BTS? What lectures of hers did you do, Friday or Saturday? I saw her Friday, then stayed all night.....WOW! Some of that info was just great.

Did anyone go to that "Tec" party at BTS? My brother and I walked in, then walked out. I am guessing it wasn't too tech because I saw Richie Kohler and his crew at Outback Streakhouse. We decided that the view at Bazookas was better....and it was. I really liked the seminars at the show, and the booths were kinda cool. We spent the night drinking at Bazookas with a few old timers from the historical diving society.

Great show, can't wait for next year!

hey guys.....3 more to join you.....looks like our boat got blown out for Sunday and we will be making the trek to Dutch.......BillB...you will be so proud...am bringing the mighty doubles for a spin....and Jack.....if you are good....I will let you carry them : ) .......Frnak...I will have enough air to keep up with you .....jsut have to remember my slate so I can take notes on where the heck we go.....think that Fosters can is still there?...... see you guys tomorrow

Hi Grant,

I was also getting worried about how to contact you about diving plans this weekend. I was just about ready to try calling your cell when I spotted your post from earilier today. I just registered on SB and had to use the name of BillF123 since BillF was already taken.

Anyway, I am still planning on diving at Dutch this Sat morn (April 5th) for at least one dive and if my core temp recovers, a 2nd dive. Your future Sat dive dates are pretty much a go for me unless an unexpected family event occurs. Since you can't make this Sat, maybe I can meet up with Frank and Nick in the cove (I have not seen a recent post from either Frank or Nick confirming they will be diving Sat morn). If Frank and Nick don't make it on Sat, then I am in search of a buddy for Sat morn. I will monitor the SB for any last minute dive plan updates.

Hope it was a good die day yesterday. Saturday turned out to be the better of the two. Bob couldn't make it today (Sunday), which is just as well, since it's pretty raw out there. We'll catch you on one of these upcoming Saturdays. PM me your e-mail & cell, so I'm not such a dweeb when the board is down.

Take care,

g

Welcome, George!

Well, I just got home from a 45 minute dive at Dutch. No discernable thermocline. Pretty much 41 degrees from top to bottom. Viz was great! 50+ at least. There weren't any noobs out and the silt was still kicked up around the new plane! I don't know what the hell is the deal with these guys...everybody diving doubles and we actually saw giant, striding footprints on the bottom!! :11:

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be less and less fish in there every year. All in all, it was a great first dive of the year and sorting out the bugs for the dive season. A good showing from the WV crew. Myself, Tony, Frank, Nick, Mark, YBL (sorry, I forgot your name, bud) and of course, Cheryl. We had a good time shooting the breeze and chillin' literally in the afternoon.

There were a couple of brave souls diving wet....ah, I remember those days and damn sure don't want to do that again!!

A great day diving....

I had my new Weezle Extremes and worked pretty well. But I didn't add any air at all to my suit. I test drove my doubles for the first time, and it went well.

Don’t wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great…..
~ Orison Swett Marden

Opportunity….
We were supposed to be on a boat on the calm Atlantic, enjoying the gentle breezes and first warm days of spring. Ahhh…….
Unfortunately rain, cold and 35 knot gusts put a damper on our plans. Not to be deterred, we took advantage of the “opportunity” and immediately changed course for opening day at Dutch Springs 2008. Not our planned destination but a great “opportunity” to get wet, meet up with old friends, and dial in the new wing and doubles. Not a bad plan.
In the manner of all diving, we set forth at O’Dark Thirty. Mark, to the minute on time, as usual. It was cold and raining, and the outlook was bleak, but we were getting wet…one way or another. Up the Parkway we headed and met up with Josh and we were on our way, arriving at Dutch Springs at 8AM and the official opening. The weather had cleared some and it was no longer raining…..things were looking up.
We unloaded the truck and set out looking for familiar faces before gearing up. In addition to myself, Mark O and Josh, aka YBLdiver, on the next table over was Nick, aka Puddles and or Bubblehead, who has a brandy new dry suit without a drop of aquaseal on it, I hardly recognized him….and Ann. She has to be a saint to join us in such gray weather and not even be a diver. Catching up, their youngest got married over the winter and they have a new grandchild on the way. Congrats guys! And then there was Frnak, aka Darthlobster or even sometimes…..Frank. Watching him unload is an event. He pulls up in a little car and pops the trunk and like a clown car in the circus begins to pull out enough dive gear to fill a dump truck. Absolutely amazing job of packing. Sherwood, my apologies for not knowing your name, is on the next table setting up his gear and behind him pulls Terry. Terry is a lurker on Wreck Valley and we really should give him a name, although Terrythelurker will do for now. Bill B. was unable to make it due to some family goings on but we did spot Brandon, aka Mcjangles and some others.
In short time we are greeting Jack, aka our own lovable Spratman. He is getting back in the water after a too long and trying dry spell, and sporting his new Weezles, dry suit and doubles! And he is followed by Tony, aka NJdiverTony and his secret stash of Dogbreath Ale, aka Dog Fish Head Ale whatever…..an opening day tradition now.
Ahhh….social hour is over and its time to dive. I have a new doubles wing to break in and break it does. Upon setting up my tanks Mark immediately asks…..What’s that noise? My inflator is leaking and no amount of coaxing is convincing it to stop. Luckily I brought a single setup just in case and we switch out the inflators and I am ready to go.
Jack still won’t carry my gear, so I set out for the dock on my own and slowly inch into the cold clear water. As we step off the platform and descend I am greeted by 42 F water that for some reason felt much colder and an ice cream headache. I immediately scrunch my eyes and grab my forehead to warm it and upon reaching the bottom and opening my eyes….I am greeted with about 50 foot or more of viz…sweet!
We are taking things slowly, as I want to take this “opportunity” to play with the new wing and Josh is trying out his new dry suit and doubles for the first time and we take a leisurely stroll on the well traveled route to the school bus, honestly seeing all the sights along the way as I never have before. I have never been here with viz like this…I like it, although, according to Mark who was behind me, he only had about 5 foot of viz. Wise a** (wasn’t me…must have been Josh). I had not raised an inch of silt since my ice cream headache landing.
We arrive at the bus and except for struggling with the inflator hose which is way too long, the new wing is fine and the doubles are under control. We continue on out past the new Hellcat, around the boat, over the river and through the woods, around the tanker up the wall and on home in seconds shy of an hour.
We are cold and hungry and some lunch is in order. First though, I give Jack a little assist with some of the more delicate technical parts of his gear…. twice, and he and Tony are now off to run the same circuit and work out the same bugs. Funny how that works out.
Dive two is shorter and involves the trolley and some other sights, along with an exit at the other docks but still a fun little time and it is time for goodbyes and the ride home.
It was great to see everyone and catch up. And there was talk of some shore diving and notes on boat trips and vacations. There are some plans for future weekends and talk of some future trips. I enjoyed the “opportunity” to catch up with everyone and look forward to seeing them again.

Sorry, Cheryl...Dogbreath Ale is an everytime we dive together event! That reminds me, I better start giving Tony some money for that....He left before I could give him the Spaten Fest beer. However, YBL was appreciative of that. Did he share with you and Mark?! Somehow I don't think so....:D

Oh yeah, thanks for the hand with my gear....:rofl3:

How did you like Jill at BTS? What lectures of hers did you do, Friday or Saturday? I saw her Friday, then stayed all night.....WOW! Some of that info was just great.

Did anyone go to that "Tec" party at BTS? My brother and I walked in, then walked out. I am guessing it wasn't too tech because I saw Richie Kohler and his crew at Outback Streakhouse. We decided that the view at Bazookas was better....and it was. I really liked the seminars at the show, and the booths were kinda cool. We spent the night drinking at Bazookas with a few old timers from the historical diving society.

Great show, can't wait for next year!

Jill was great! Nothing like some of the other presenters. Very down to earth and humble and very knowledgable and experienced. She did a very good seminar on rebreather basics and then I talked to her after the seminar. I also went to Tim O'Leary's presentation on Helium and the push for recreational purposes. Chris Laughrey did a seminar on diving more conservative PO2 settings for tech diving. Something I will take to heart.

Yeah, the tech party is usually not where the big names hang out. It's were all of us normal people go. I'm usually there for a beer and smooze with some of the club folks. Then almost always head over to Bazookas. There is usually a good collection of people there.

I love listening to the old timers talking about back in the day. Chuck Zimmora and Tom Roach had an awesome slide presentation. I saw it before at Keystone Divers Asso. meeting. Breaking ice off the wetsuits, wearing two of them, dreaming up rigs that worked. You gotta see that....

Yeah, it was a great show. And they are already gearing up for next year and it will be even better!

Back
Top Bottom