Dutch Springs compass problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverJP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Had an issue this past weekend in Dutch Springs and was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same or has an explanation. We entered on the peninsula west side, followed the line from the platform to the Silver Comet, then to the Cessna. At this point, the plan was to follow the compass heading of 54 degrees shown on the slate to find the helicopter. Now, some things I should mention... I've done this before on prior trips successfully, I am experienced and comfortable with my compass, and I calibrated my compass before entering the water. While swimming through the water at about 40'-50' depth, was having significant difficulty maintaining a heading with my compass. I have a digital compass integrated into my dive computer, and it was virtually impossible to maintain a specific heading on the display. The numbers kept rapidly changing over a wide range almost as if the "dial" was spinning around. Needless to say, we wound up lost and had to surface to get our bearings. Here's the really strange part... After returning to the shore, I discovered in conversation that two other members of our group had experienced the same thing while attempting to follow the same course to the helicopter! Their compasses literally were spinning also. So here's the question... What's in the quarry near there that would cause that much of a magnetic disturbance? Anyone experience the same or have any ideas?

Thanks,
JP

This might explain how I got my group so terribly lost last time I dove Dutch :D. They blamed it on the Canadian Navigation System but I now blame it on the DS Triangle.

I've heard of metal objects messing with compasses but never seen it forst hand. The only time I have experienced what you describe is when I was diving right over a submerged electrical cable and did not know it until after.

Hello,

Had an issue this past weekend in Dutch Springs and was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same or has an explanation. We entered on the peninsula west side, followed the line from the platform to the Silver Comet, then to the Cessna. At this point, the plan was to follow the compass heading of 54 degrees shown on the slate to find the helicopter. Now, some things I should mention... I've done this before on prior trips successfully, I am experienced and comfortable with my compass, and I calibrated my compass before entering the water. While swimming through the water at about 40'-50' depth, was having significant difficulty maintaining a heading with my compass.

I've had a couple times, only at the Cessna, where the electronic compass on my dive computer seems totally screwed up ... points me in obviously the wrong direction. Switched to my backup magnetic disk compass, and everything seemed fine. I'd guess there might be a high iron content in the island rock or something else disturbing the magnetic field in that area (and somehow confuses the electronic compass).

Also noticed it around the Cessna, and also out in the eastern cove.

Frau & I will be there Wed & Thur. we'll try to watch to see if it occurs again.

When I was in Dutch and our dive master was following the heading, he almost passed the darn thing, luckily I tapped him on the leg and when he turned around I pointed it out to him

Heh :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom