Dutch Springs dive Buddy needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a buddy to dive with at Dutch Springs, PA this summer. I live North Jersey and am a fairly new O.W. diver with 26 dives over the last year. Most of my dives have been in Key Largo, FL. Mostly looking to dive on weekends but might be able to take a day off during the week too. BTW, I have a 7mm O'Neill wetsuit with a 6.5mm hood that I haven't tried out yet..... will I be warm enough at Dutch Springs with this???

North East Scuba Supply usually has a group at Dutch most weekends. Give them a call. As for a 7mm, hopefully it is a "farmer John" and not a "steamer". Because of the cool start this summer the surface temps are still in the low 60's and the thermocline is still in the low 50's (around 35-40 feet). The Farmer John style with hood and gloves works very well at these temperatures.

Unfortunately, I cannot help in the immediate future because I will be diving in the Florida Keys for the next three weeks!

Bill, you there the 19 - 22? i'll be in islamorada.

I am also a NNJ diver near Hoboken NJ. I work with the Hoboken Dive Center. I will be going to DS this simmer also. I will be in Mexico for the first half of August, but I will be available after that for the remainder of the summer. Just let me know.

Dive Smart, Dive Safe
Enjoys the ride
:mean:

scubabob123: My Girlfriend and I were at Dutch Springs this weekend for a few dives. The water was bad with a 7Mil on. Around 60 ft it was a little chilly. :wink: If you need a buddy, let me know and if we are at Dutch Springs, you can always dive with us.

If you want to see some pics from this weekend, check out my web site.

What was the water temp at DS at 60 ft.? How was the vis?

Viz last weekend was about 30 ft. At the surface you could easily see the platforms, which is about 27-30 ft. I have seen the viz a lot better then that, but not bad.

At 30ft the temp was pretty nice. I cant remember the temp off hand. At 60 ft the temp was 57 degrees. With a 7 mil wetsuit, hood, gloves it is a little chilly.

I think the 2nd thermocline was at around 45-50 feet. I want to stay above that this weekend when possible. :)

Hi. I was at DS last weekend.
The water at 30-35 feet was somewhere in the mid 60's.
I was comfortable in 2-piece 7mm suit with no hood or gloves.
Below that, I added 5mm gloves and 7mm hood and was comfortable. Didn't go deeper that 67 feet- we recorded temperature in low 50's at that depth. Was much harder to stay cool on land than to stay warm in water!

Have fun!
Michael

I am always looking for a buddy to dive Dutch. I live in the Philadelphia area, and have done a bit of diving up there.

As far as the temps are concerned, they are not bad. I was down at 95 feet there about a month ago, and while the face was painfully cold, the bod was just fine in 7mm FJ & hood. The visibility, as always, varies depending on when you are there (read: weekdays rule, early Saturday is good, Sunday afternoon rots). The proliferation of zebra mussels (man, they multiply FAST) has done wonders to the clarity. And the water level this year is very good -- a good 8-10 feet higher than last year, and probably 4-5 feet higher than the year before. Some of the weekends are really crowded, but it's no so noticeable underwater, beacause at any given time, most of the folks in the place are either on land or getting in or out of the water.

Let me know if/when you are heading up there. My schedule is whacked out this summer, but I am still planning a few more trips up there between now and October.

Went to Dutch Springs for the first time last weekend (July 12-13). Went to get advanced and dry suit certification. Weather was incredible and the viz was very good.... probably 25 - 30 ft most of the time. Temp at surface was 70, but dropped to high 50's at about 20 feet. Below 50 ft the temp was 47!

Most divers were wearing 7mm farmer john suits with hood and gloves and nobody complained about being cold. In fact, for our shallow dives (25-30 ft) we dove without gloves or hoods and were very comvortable. The dry suit experience was very interesting... and warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom