Dving in Alexandria, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pickledboodah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in Alexandria Egypt on Juy 2, 2007. I'm interested in scuba diving in that area. Do you have a recommended dive shop? I am certified, but have limited experience. Given this is a Muslim country, are there any particular considerations for women diving?

Check out this thread. Better to take a bus of plane to the Red Sea coast.

In diving everyone is used to western habits and (lack of) dress, independant women, etcetera. I wouldn't wear a bikini during the surface interval (if I were a woman, that is :D ) , but that's about it.

We ran an exploratory trip in 2005 to add the Wrecks to a program of holidays.

The prevailing wind was from the north and the shallow water & sand bottom resulted in less viz that in a tin of pee soup. It was a complete waiste of time & could have been dangerous had our guys been less experienced. We were with the most established dive operation (the only one at the time) but they had no clue had to run a safe professional operation.

Suffice to say we never sent any paying guests.

Alexadria itself is great, very different from Cairo with fresh sea breeze but I'd suggest you find something else to do while you are there.

I tried diving there , the visibility is zero , and all you see is some rocks that used to be the ancient minaret that is scattered all over the see bed , and around 2 to 3 meters long sphinx statues and a small plane .

It is a total waste of time due to the visibility that could actually be dangerous.

If you find any of Cleopatra's jewels...

Just forget to dive in Alexandria with Alexandra Dive Center, a lousy center, insecured, blacklisted by the CDWS and the Ministry of Tourism, just a center to meet alcohol, drugs. You can even be proposed to buy archeological pieces from the Mediterraneean. Such a dive center is a shame for the diving industry, with equipment, compressor out of work, don't match the security standards. Ashraf Sabri is the loser in charge of this dreadful center, you can check on this site so many articles and complains from divers all over the world against this center. it's a pity, with profesional people it could be a fantastic place to dive even if the vis. is not exceptional, but full of history, spoiled by an incompetent.

Back
Top Bottom