DX-2G 0.1 sec shutter lag time: from what moment it's measured?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A_kaza

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

One of the reasons I decided to buy the DX-2G was "0.1 sec shutter lag time" advertised.
At first I used to shoot in autofocus mode and when I noticed the actual shutter lag is MUCH
longer I attributed it to the autofocus action. In one of the "worst cases" (attempting a macro
shot of a blenny while it's wildly manuevering) the apparent delay was few seconds.
After that I switched off the autofocus, set a constant focusing distance of 1m (like I used
to shoot most of the time during my 13 years of Morotmarine-II-EX usage) and kept
the moving object at about 1m distance until it "turned its better side to me" at which point
I took the shot. In macro mode I set the manual focus distance at 20cm and employed the
same tactic. But when I attempted to photograph a macro of a moray which kept
opening and closing the mouth with a period of about 1.5 -2 seconds, I noticed that I still
have a significant lag: I wanted to shoot it with the mouth open but looking at the photo taken saw
the mouth closed, which means - even without AF the delay was over 0.5 sec. I eventually
had to "predict" the moray mouth position: I pressed the shutter release lever when the mouth
had been closed so that by the time actual shot is taken, the mouth will be open. It worked.

So, my questions are:

1) From which point of time the advertised "0.1 sec shutter lag" is measured when the
camera is in the manual focus mode?

2) What is the precise timing of events inside the camera (in manual focus mode) starting from the pressing
of the shutter release lever (both halves of a press) and up to the actual image being taken?

3) Same question as above but for auto-focus mode?

Thanks in advance,
A_kaza

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom