Dx2g not focusing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today I took my Dx2g and it was not focusing while underwater. I would turn on the camera and it would not focus. The screen was constantly blurry. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Thanks,

Sean

Hello,
There is a possibility when diving in warm climates that the housing may fog if the camera and housing were not prepared properly. The camera and housing should be preparred in a room with similar temperatures as the water you will be diving in. It is strongly recommended to use a Desiccant Pack in your housing to prevent fog up as well.

I was diving in SD. The first dive everything was working fine. When I went to go for the 2nd and 3rd dive the LCD screen was blurry. It was not focusing at all. I had a moisture pack in the housing.

Yes it happened while in the housing. I checked it when I got home outside of the houing and no problem.

Hmmmm, sounds like the moisture packet is not working properly. My guess is that the screen is fogging over. have you tried changing the condensation/moisture packet?

Regards,

Bill

K why would the moisture packet matter if the camera is not even focusing? Everythign I was looking at was a blur. Half way through the dive all of sudden it was able to focus.

I believe that the camera is focusing but because of the condensation on the LCD window it makes the picture look like it was not in focus or maybe because of condensation is on the window used for focusing and the camera cannot focus on the picture. An example of what I am discussing happened when I went in for a final check on my eyes before lasik surgery. The optometrist put the previous settings on the lens machine and and asked me to read the eye chart. I told her all the letters were fuzzy. She was surprised and adjusted the lenses but no matter what she did the letters all appeared out of focus. Finally, she thought for a minute, got a tissue and wiped the lens closest to my eyes and everything came into focus. She said that it was condensation on the lens that was distorting what I was seeing. I was the first one in that morning and the air conditioning lowered the temp of the lens during the night and when the heat from my face hit the cold lens, condensation occurred. I think the same thing is happening to you. When you first enter the water the temp difference creates condensation that is eventually dealt with by your moisture packet that finally clears the lens/lcd screen. Perhaps the issue can be dealt with my replacing your moisture packet with a fresh packet.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom