E-520 or Pen PL2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, was all set to move from my old 5060 into dslr with the E520 until I talked to someone at the Olympus booth at the tacoma dive expo. Now im uncertain. Im just a typical novice who dives recreationally, but like crisp sharp shots. Any input on what the better step would be?

I just picked up my new E-PL2 rig from Bluewater Photo and I could not be more happy with my purchase. I went into the Micro Four Thirds format because I was interested in having the largest sensor possible along with having the ability to do macro, normal / wide and high definition video all during the same dive. The new 14-42 lens has improved since the last version. By adding a Dyron macro wet lens it let's me shoot macro perfectly. I tested everything out in my pool last night, and the first off test results came out perfect.

Call Scott and he will walk through all of your questions. He is the most knowledgeable person on the planet when it comes to UW photography.

Good Luck!

Die hard Olympus underwater fan here. I have both systems, the E-PL1 and E-620. Yes the E-620 is faster, but the smaller size of the E-PL1 gives it the edge for travel. However, lenses are extremely expensive for the E-PL1, so your system cost may be similar if you get a lot of lenses. Still, people want the smaller system, and the makers are moving in that direction.

The larger E Volt systems are on the way out. Nikon and Canon are just too far ahead with full sized DSLRs. Olympus has stated it will not release any new midrange DSLRs (the E620 is the current model, now 2 years old). It's not clear what they plan beyond the current the pro level E5. If you try to find all the parts for an obsolescent system, it gets challenging. Over time they will become more expensive. By contrast, Olympus and Panasonic are actively developing new models for the micro 4/3 family like the E-PL2 and the amazing Panasonic GH-2, driving on price and performance.

I did not understand what it was the Olympus sales guy told you, but regardless, go with a more current product. You can pick up an Olympus E-PL2 and Olympus PT-EP03 housing inexpensively, or even a Panasonic GH-2 and 10Bar housing for less than a full sized DSLR, and I suspect you would be satisfied with either, depending on your budget and performance goals.

Hi, was all set to move from my old 5060 into dslr with the E520 until I talked to someone at the Olympus booth at the tacoma dive expo. Now im uncertain. Im just a typical novice who dives recreationally, but like crisp sharp shots. Any input on what the better step would be?

You might want to check with Jack Connick at Optical Ocean there in Tacoma. He has all these cameras and you can handle them and get good advice too. Highly recommended.
Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras, Housings & Accessories - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

The e520 is 3 gen behind the current m4/3 camera. The epl-2 has a better preformance. epl-2 shoots well up to 1600 vs 800 on the e520. And the epl-2 is a smaller package. What the e-520 does better is for action shots. As it gives you better ability track action with the OVF vs a EVF that blacks out between shots.

The lenses of 4/3 olympus dslr can be used on the epl-2 with the electronic adapter with full metering, AF and aperture control. And you also have the ability to use the panasonic lenses for m4/3 with all the features as well. Giving you more lens option.

Hello Gdog,

you can find my review of the E-520 and Olympus housing in issue #-11 of the,
Underwater Journal from 2009.

My review of the E-PL1 is here, FourThirdsPhoto.com | EP-1 and PT-EP01

I hope to have the E-PL2 at the MexicanDiver.com workshop in Cozumel next week.

At this point if you are not an owner of the E-520 or any Olympus DSLR lenses I think the E-PL2 is the better way to go. The M43 lens set from Olympus, Panasonic and others is growing quickly. The FOUR ports from ZENunderwater.com for the Olympus housings are top quality optical glass and ideal for the the 8mm fisheye, 7-14 zoom, 9-18 zoom and 45 macro lenses now commonly used with this camera/housing combo.

Phil Rudin

Hey, great info!! Thank you everyone for your input, just what I was hoping for. Im glad I posed this question. Hopefully soon Ill post some pics from the e-pl2!

Thanks again all! And I will visit Jack at Optical Ocean.

I was at the Tacoma show as well on last saturday. I am an old Olympus SP-350 user, which I love (small footprint, takes nice pictures). I was intrigued by the Olympus XZ-1/PT-050. This has the f1.8 iZuiko Lens with a large, high sensitivity sensor. It also looks very easy to use. I have decided to go this route for me. I talked to the Olympus guy for awhile about this as well as a couple other booths that had the XZ-1 in the PT-050 housing.

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom