E-M5--does it do TTL or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

I've got the e-m5 with Nauticam housing. I use two YS-01 strobes with it. I've heard that you can't use ttl settings with it because of the fiber optic cables and I've heard that you can use ttl settings with it.

Which is right? I've tried it both ways, and don't see too much of a difference, but maybe the flash units are going off full with the ttl settings and I'm just not used to the rig yet.

Jerry

The question is, does the YS-01 strobe do TTL? With fiber optic sync cords, the strobe will mimic the camera's flash in TTL. Should work.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 01:07 PM ----------

"YS-01:

DS-TTL photographyThe DS-TTL system on this strobe is a slave TTL system withflash dimming functionality. This system is useful for whenyou are using another main strobe that can pre-flash such asa camera's built-in TTL flash or another TTL strobe that isconnected to the camera.Set the mode switch to [TTL], and set the light levelcontrol dial to [FULL]Take a photograph 3 Adjust the light level with the light level control dial todecrease the amount of light for exposure if you getan overexposed image"

So, the answer is "yes."

good info

Okay, call me uninformed, but what exactly is DS-TTL and what is different between it and TTL?

EM-5--does it do TTL ? Yes
TTL with YS-01 ? NO
DS TTL with YS-01 ? Yes - work well particularly for macro, but I always prefer manual.

TTL : camera measure the éxposuret after checking with initial flash, and then calculate the required flash power to sufficiently illuminate the subject.
Here, the TTL is between camera and camera internal flash.
Of course you can get TTL between camera with external flash or external strobe, which required hardwire connection - plus - the same language/protocol between the camera to communicate with external flash/strobe. But not the YS-01.
DS-TTL - as mentioned by jlyle, the strobe (in this case your YS-01) mimic the TTL of camera with internal flash.

Wired sync cords don't give you TTL with all strobes/housings/camera combinations; for example, Ikelite housings with direct connection only give TTL with Ikelite strobes.

[Ikelite does sell an optical TTL pickup for its strobes but it doesn't work well (IMHO).]

It's worthwhile doing your homework before you buy.

Wisnu--Thanks for explaining!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom