Eagle Ray accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that the poor ray was not hurt badly.

The ladies okay too Don, and the Ray was returned to the water unharmed by FWC Officers.

I had read that the lady was ok and the ray returned. Hope all came out well.

See!!! Our wildlife is so friendly it literally jumps out of the water to greet our visitors.
:rofl3: Come on down and enjoy our "welcome committee".

Actually with the amount of interaction between humans and wildlife here I'm suprised these things don't happen more often.

A similar incident almost happend to me while we were heading out or Miami for a fishing trip.

We were heading out of Bear cut and I saw a shadow approaching the surface and pop out.

It felt like the ray was inches from my fathers face (could have been feet.) My first instinct was to turn the boat to the left and I think that was the only reason the ray didn't land on the boat.

Everyone on the boat looked at each other in shock, we've seen this behavior before from the rays but never thought it would get that close.

Brian

Edit: ohh and this ray was defined not 8ft across weighing 300 pounds. It was more like 3 feet across but could have been equally as deadly.

Last edited:
Finally, a critter that ain't camera shy!!

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom