Eagle ray barbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is a question that I don't have the answer to but should. Do eagle rays have a barb? If they don't, why not and how do they defend themselves? Does size really matter here? If they do, I have never heard of anyone getting stuck with one.

If you get barbed by an eagle ray, it means you were way too damn close. The closest I've been to an eagle ray was when it was trying to ditch its remoras on me, and even then I wasn't in barb range.

Generally they won't let you get close enough to worry about it.

Here is a question that I don't have the answer to but should. Do eagle rays have a barb? If they don't, why not and how do they defend themselves? Does size really matter here? If they do, I have never heard of anyone getting stuck with one.

I've observed individuals with 3 barbs. The link provided by Knotical says 2-6.

I've never see an eagle ray use them - if I had to guess, I'd say that unlike the more sedentary stingrays, eagle rays will run rather than fight.

Also, unlike stingrays, whose barb is about halfway up the tail and can thus generate quite a whipping action to drive the barb with a lot of force, those of the eagle rays are very close to the base of the tail - perhaps rendering them less effective for such purposes because there is less whipping action. I would speculate that the barbs perhaps become most effective when a shark manages to catch and bite the eagle ray from behind.

They have barbs, but their primary defense is size and speed.

I've observed individuals with 3 barbs. The link provided by Knotical says 2-6.

I've never see an eagle ray use them - if I had to guess, I'd say that unlike the more sedentary stingrays, eagle rays will run rather than fight.

Stingrays would also prefer to run rather than fight, otherwise the "stingray shuffle" would be of no assistance.

Also, unlike stingrays, whose barb is about halfway up the tail and can thus generate quite a whipping action to drive the barb with a lot of force, those of the eagle rays are very close to the base of the tail - perhaps rendering them less effective for such purposes because there is less whipping action. I would speculate that the barbs perhaps become most effective when a shark manages to catch and bite the eagle ray from behind.

They have barbs, but their primary defense is size and speed.

So are they fast even when small? I just wonder how the big defenseless fish like whale sharks and mantas get so big without getting eaten first. Once they are larger I'm sure they swim faster than most predatory fish can.

Oh they are quite fast when need be. There is a reason they are called the "birds of the sea"...

So are they fast even when small? I just wonder how the big defenseless fish like whale sharks and mantas get so big without getting eaten first. Once they are larger I'm sure they swim faster than most predatory fish can.

They are pretty fast even when small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom