Ear Barotrauma Over A Month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keda,
I think I may be going through the same thing. About three weeks or so ago, I was just swimming and had some wax blockage, especially in the left ear. Had the ears flushed at my primary doc but still had a muffled left ear. Also felt like my cheek was sore (like when I have a sinus cold during the winter or something). Did some diving after that and had no issues clearing for depth but lots of crackles and pops in the left when I ascended. Left ear still muffled. Went to an ENT and they had me do a hearing test and put me on a steroid and augmentin. I was worried that I might have frigged my ear for diving. The test showed the left ear hearing was indeed less (because it is still somewhat muffled). Since then I've been hearing crackling and popping in the left as it is trying to breakup and release. And at times it does pop clear, but then gums up again. Slow process, but it is getting better.

Yup, mine does that as well. The crackles and pops are softer and less frequent so I do think it's slowly improving, but in the left it gums up again quickly and I can feel a definite difference between the right ear which feels open and clear and the left which feels a bit stuffy/full (less so not but still full).

Yes, that's it. Me too. I find I can plug and blow to equalize and the fullness feeling lessens a bit and my hearing improves at least for a bit, although more and more each day. So I am going to let the antibiotics run its course and then get the hearing tested again. Am also planning an easy dive for next Monday, nothing too major or deep. Hope your recovery goes well!

Yes, that's it. Me too. I find I can plug and blow to equalize and the fullness feeling lessens a bit and my hearing improves at least for a bit, although more and more each day. So I am going to let the antibiotics run its course and then get the hearing tested again. Am also planning an easy dive for next Monday, nothing too major or deep. Hope your recovery goes well!

I initially was on augmentin as well, more as a precaution, but I noted no change in my hearing and the ENT said my hearing test was "perfect". Though I seem to have no problem achieving equalization using the usual techniques on land and the ENT thinks my ear looks fine, after the experience I'm honestly a bit freaked out about diving. I would like to try again, with an easy dive of course to test things out, but I think I'll wait until this clears up; i'm really anxious about making things worse especially after noticing the tinnitus. I hope your recovery goes well too, and your dive Monday! Good luck :)

Keda, did your tinnitus coincide with any new meds you were/are taking?

Ok, I was just curious because some meds can contribute to tinnitus. I'm listening to the singing in my ears now, for some reason I notice it more at night. I've made peace with it though, thank heavens.

Ok, I was just curious because some meds can contribute to tinnitus. I'm listening to the singing in my ears now, for some reason I notice it more at night. I've made peace with it though, thank heavens.

I'm trying to make peace with it as well but also hoping it goes away. Have you found diving to alter it in any way? Making it change volume or pitch etc?

For all I know, diving brought it on. I'm not sure that it's significantly worse but it's very hard to tell with all the ringing and whistling in different tones and not the same in each ear. My left is worse.

I've had some ear problems also. Currently I'm on diuretics because the fluid inside my ears is coming from my body, not an external source like the ocean. Since I first started diving, I always had to descend really slowly and equalize every few seconds. It used to embarrass me to be so slow, but not anymore. One DM told me I looked fast compared to some divers! Do what you gotta do to be safe and enjoy the dive. I went to a primo diver doctor in Cozumel when I noticed problems with one ear and had a nose bleed on my first day diving. A few days on prednisone and nasal decongestants and I was fine for diving the rest of the trip. That was the first time I was told that the fluid was from my body and going into my inner earn. If I hadn't sought treatment and continued to dive I could have ruptured my ear. Her words, not mine. Sudafed isn't allowed in MX so this doctor also suggested Claritin instead. Not quite as good but helpful . Additionally, my boyfriend who's incredibly experienced, told be to make sure my mask isn't too tight and to also equalize my mask by blowing through my nose a couple times when I'm descending.

I'm trying to make peace with it as well but also hoping it goes away. Have you found diving to alter it in any way? Making it change volume or pitch etc?

Dear Keda,
I am reading your post and what you have been going through is exactly what I am currently going through, but my tinnitus happened spontaneously 3 days after the dive as my ear was drying out.
Its been slightly more than a week for me and this crackling and popping isnt going away.
I'm very curious to know if hopefully u got better and how long did it take for you to get better, what have you done during this time that helped?
Also did u go back to diving without any issues? Cuz i am having similar worries and I feel like your experience mimics mine to a very high degree..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom