Ear operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
Dr. Deco
I was speaking to a customer of mine the other day and had a question to ask you. The customer had a ear infection a few years ago and got fluids into the inner ear. The fluids was removed by putting a small pin hole allowing the water to dry up. After the water was dried up there was a small plug to fill the whole. Just the other day the plug was removed. How long would you suggest to stop diving allowing the small pin hole to heal up correctly??Can you thnk of any complicaiton this diver may have?

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

As this is really a medical question may I jump in?

Without seeing or knowing the patient's details myself I cannot give you a professional opinion as your customer's doctor.

However, secretory otitis media is a very common condition in children which often requires surgical drainage of the middle ear by the surgical implantation of a small tube in the ear drum - a grommet.

Once the infection has resovled the original cause of the fluid collection is also reloved and in time the grommet simply falls out and the ear drum heals in a matter of weeks.

Fo an adult it may be more complicated than this.

My observations are therefore
  1. He must not dive if the perforation persists.
  2. He should not dive if a grommet is in situ.
  3. He must not dive if the drainage to the middle ear persists or he risks further damage.
    [/list=1]

1. He must check with the surgeon who performed the operation.

It could take up to six weeks for the ear drum to heal and occassionally the perforation of the ear drum persists.

Back
Top Bottom