ear problems help plaese................

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomjr79

Reaction score
hi guys

I am new to the whole dive scene I have just completed my BSAC ocean divers award and am due to jet off to the Red Sea at the end of July for a week long wreck dive exp. where I will also complete my sports diver and PADI advanced sports diver.

During my ocean divers course I found it hard to equalise my ear pressure and found that they would hurt at the end of each day particularly after forgetting to equalise during a descent on the final day when I had quite a dull pain in my inner ear and also a tingling sensation down the side of my face.

Is there any ear drops or exercises equipment or anything that will help my week long exped go smoothly without any ear pain? I have heard about masks that can equalisethe ear pressure automatically? and some drops but being a novice I need to be guided.. Please help I feel I have found a sport which I will grow to love for th erest of my life but am afraid my sodding ears may hinder this.

Please help

Tom Rushbrook

A bit of equalising exercise before you go will help. Just equalise (hold you nose, keep you mouth closed and blow GENTLY). Do this a few times a day before you go and a few times in the couple of hours leading up to the first dive.

Make sure you keep equalised at all times during a dive. Try to equalise before you have too, ie before you can feel any discomfort.

When you complete the dive a few drop of a product like 'swimear' will displace all the water and reduce the risk of infection.

There are masks that have ear pieces to prevent water getting into your ears but you will still need to equalise.

The Red Sea is a great place to learn, you will love it.

Safe Diving
Nick

cheers buddy thanx for such a swift reply

Assuming you don't have a physical problem that makes it difficult to clear your ears, I have seen the following advice help many new divers. Most importantly, Start performing the Valsalva technique before your head even gets below the surface. Descend slowly and equalize on every breath. Try to not let the water pressure get ahead of you, if it does, ascend a few feet until you can equalize again.

Like Stone & nickjb said, start equalizing way before you even feel the need to.
A little assistance from a 12 hour sudafed starting the day before you fly & on the days you dive will also help. If you haven't taken sudafed before, try some before your trip to make sure you're not one of the .05% that it doesn't agree with.
Ear rinses composed of equal parts distilled water, alcohol, vinegar, & peroxide are kinder to your ear canal than drops containg straight alcohol. Flush the ears rather than using drops, keep it in at least 5 minutes each side & you'll greatly reduce the chances of swimmers ear.
I dive for lobster commercially & follow my own advice, keeps the ear mischief way down even when abusing them by daily diving for weeks on end.
:eek:ut:

I actually forgot to equalize during three dives this past Sunday. I am new to diving, and was focusing on other things. At the end of Sunday, I thought I didn't have any issues. I had remembered having to clear when I felt pain, but no big deal.

Well, not to whine, but to say I am in severe pain is not an overstatement. I was prescribed Hydrocodone to control it. Severe left ear pain, progressivly getting worse, and now involving the face and tmj. I will tell you one thing, I will never forget to equalize again. I am wondering if I blew an ear drum or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom