Ear tubes as a kid -- does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm following-up on this thread, posted about 10 years ago on this forum. I'm not a kid anymore. I had tubes about 20 years ago.

A doctor (@doctormike) replied and said:

So the bottom line is if a diver's eardrums have healed closed from the tubes that were placed as a child (almost always the case) and if the diver can equalize easily (again, virtually all childhood Eustachian tube dysfunction resolves by the teenage years), a history of ear tubes is not a reason to avoid diving...

Is there any way to know if your eardrums didn't heal close? Also, since this was posted 10 years, ago I'm wondering if there's any reason this advice may have changed.

Last edited:
Ear Ventilation Tubes | Ears & Diving - DAN Health & Diving

Fitness to Dive
Diving is not recommended while the tubes are in place as they will allow water to enter the middle ear, risking vertigo and infection. After the ventilation tubes are removed or come out, adequate time for healing must be allowed (at least six weeks). Middle-ear and Eustachian tube function must be confirmed as normal before diving
is considered.

A bigger problem may be scarring of the Eustachian tubes as a result of the chronic ear infections. This can make ear equalization difficult for the diver. Currently, there is no surgical procedure that can correct a partially obstructed Eustachian tube.

@Scubagolf Is there a way to know if I have partially obstructed tubes?

Go see an ENT Doc.

I had major ear infections as a kid. Tubes twice in both ears...fully resolved by age 5. Never had issues as a diver.

Hi there

I'm following-up on this thread, posted about 10 years ago on this forum. I'm not a kid anymore. I had tubes about 20 years ago.

A doctor (@doctormike) replied and said:

Is there any way to know if your eardrums didn't heal close? Also, since this was posted 10 years, ago I'm wondering if there's any reason this advice may have changed.
I took my daughter to the doctor cause I did not have all No's on the questionair and the doctor looked at here ears she had tubes a few times and cronic ear infections as a young child but now is fine and actually just completed here Junior AOW. They just stated that as long as she can clear she is good to go...

My wife had bad ear problems as a child and also had tubes. Because of the scaring she gets motion sickness really easily but she has no problems diving.

I assumed given how common tubes are, that there'd be a lot more mention of it as a caution zone if it raised red flags. So this is all good to know.

Sounds like if you can equalize you are OK. If you can't, then revisit the issue.

Sounds like if you can equalize you are OK. If you can't, then revisit the issue.
Exactly!

As a general observation, ENT docs are a valuable resource. Unfortunately, some are not divers, and seem to have a remarkably narrow-minded view of diving. But, I have over the years recommended a number of students and fellow divers to my ENT, and in several cases her treatment meant the difference to them of becoming certified and being able to dive comfortably, rather than sitting on shore wishing they could dive.

I made the mistake of diving with one tube still in as an adult and wearing Doc's plugs. At 6-8 feet getting ready with mask flooding and adjustment, I felt the water go in and the dull ache/later headache. Wound up with middle ear infection, waited two weeks, ENT pulled the tube and lost 6 weeks to healing.

My best advice, and fortunate for me, my ENT is a avid diver. If you can find one that speaks Dive, he can offer some great advice.

I was irritating my ears by cleaning them too frequently, they itched. A little bit of cortisone cream once a week for two weeks, no itch. HAPPINESS!

Comfort is control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom