Ears still blocked after 8 days-HELP Anyone?!?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoot, I'll put in my vote, too....for what it's worth.

Yup, go see the Doc.

The sooner the problem is cleared up, the sooner you can get back underwater!

Going to an ENT sounds like the right thing to do. As has been stated it sounds like an inner ear/sinus problem, probably nothing serious but you need to get it checked to make sure.

To make sure this doesn't happen again you may want to check out Neti. A quick search on google will give you all the information you need. It is a simple method of cleaning out your sinuses that if done correctly makes equalizing MUCH easier. Without it I would not be able to dive. With it I never have any problems equalizing; don't even have to touch my nose.

~Jess

Saline nasal irrigation is an accepted method for ameliorating symptoms of allergic rhinitis and sinusitis, but there is no need to buy specific equipment to perform it.

I have a couple of options for you a good decongestant and a trip to the doc or I have heard this from a few of my OLD navy friends that the navy divers would use a long needle to puncture the eardrum and relieve the pressure. It sounds simple but I wouldnt recomend it.

TSandM:
Saline nasal irrigation is an accepted method for ameliorating symptoms of allergic rhinitis and sinusitis, but there is no need to buy specific equipment to perform it.
Using a neti pot is the only really effective method of doing it that I have found, and they really aren't very expensive. Using a bulb syringe or just your hands does far less than a constant stream in one nostril and out the other.

~Jess

Possible to still have water in your ear , ive had that happen once . Its actually pretty common to have that happen. Q-tips and wearing earplugs push the wax into the ear and over time add a little water and well it may be what you have . Best to see a DR.

Please, nobody consider puncturing your own eardrum to "relieve the pressure"! First of all, it would be horrendously painful; secondly, the perforation would not be well-controlled (as it is with the ear tubes that are placed in small children with recurrent middle ear infections) and serious trauma to the middle ear (and permanent hearing loss) could ensue.

Persistent feelings of fullness and decreased hearing after diving are highly likely to be hallmarks of barotrauma. At the very least, there is probably a fluid exudate in the middle ear. At worst, there is inner ear trauma. Symptoms persistent without improvement for over a week would be a very good indication for a visit to an ENT doc, in my opinion.

Have you tried using a decongestant? It has been a few days since my checkout dive and my left ear is still blocked when I get up in the morning. I take a couple phenylephrine tabs and my ear opens up eventually.

I didn't have too much problems equalizing when I was decending, but I had to ascend very very slowly to let my ear equalize the other way.

OHHHHHH HECK NO! That sounds painful! YIKESSS! Headed to the GP at 2 this afternoon-hopefully he doesn't want to perform this procedure?!?!?!

I am going to live---LOL!
Yep - no damage done - round of steriods and decongestant should do the works. Ear drum was a littl pulled in. Really relieved there was no problems. NO diving until it clears which means I will probably miss out on a Manatee Dive later this month. Like alot of divers have reminded me... we only have one set of ears. This is a GRETA board with alot of GREAT people. Thank you all for the help, advice, care and concern! Happy Diving! "Live like you were diving" RIGHTO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom