East Bay Resort Closing Sept 9 for 9-12 Mths for Renovation and Rebranding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody know if they are still owned by the Clearly Cayman folks? Or is this rebranding part of a sale to somebody else?

Exciting Renovations are Underway in South Caicos​

East Bay Resort to close for redevelopment and rebranding​

August 10, 2023 (South Caicos, Turks and Caicos Islands) Owners and management of East Bay Resort on South Caicos in the Turks and Caicos Islands are delighted to announce plans to redevelop and rebrand the resort. Beginning on September 9, 2023, the resort will close to allow for significant renovations across the property. The resort will reopen in 2024 under a new name – Salterra Resort & Spa, an homage to the South Caicos Salinas which provided the inspiration for the redesign. The owners and management of East Bay Resort are thrilled to bring this exciting new project to life and look forward to welcoming guests to the new Salterra Resort & Spa in 2024. An announcement about the brand affiliation for Salterra will be forthcoming.

The new resort will boast a range of high-end services and amenities, designed to cater to the needs of discerning travelers. With plans for luxurious rooms and suites, multiple dining outlets including fine dining restaurants, a decadent spa, and a range of leisure activities, the renovated resort will offer guests the ultimate in relaxation and comfort. “With our beautiful location on one of the best beaches in the Turks and Caicos Islands, we’re looking forward to offering future guests the opportunity to reconnect with nature and themselves in the stunning surroundings of South Caicos.” Melina Forla, General Manager, East Bay Resort.

During the transitional period, East Bay Resort will continue to take reservations up until September 7th. The renovation construction is expected to take 9-12 months, requiring the closure of Blu Bar & Grill, including takeout services. “We understand that this closure may cause an inconvenience to some residents, particularly given the beloved status of Blu Bar & Grill. However, the resort’s expansion will positively impact the island’s economy and provide residents with new opportunities for growth and training in the hospitality industry.” Comments Melina Forla, General Manager.

They sold. CC have nothing to do with it. Apparently it will be a SUPER DUPER MARRIOTT with corresponding SUPER DUPER EXPENSIVE PRICES. Diving will be offered as an option.

They sold. CC have nothing to do with it. Apparently it will be a SUPER DUPER MARRIOTT with corresponding SUPER DUPER EXPENSIVE PRICES. Diving will be offered as an option.
You talking about Cobalt Coast? Or East Bay? I knew they had sold CC. Where did you see they sold East Bay?

Looks like East Bay was just a stop gap measure for Clearly Cayman during peak Covid. Any SBers stay and dive the place during that time and if so, how did it compare to other Clearly Cayman dive locations?

I've dived Grand Turk, which was ok, but not South Caicos.

Looks like East Bay was just a stop gap measure for Clearly Cayman during peak Covid. Any SBers stay and dive the place during that time and if so, how did it compare to other Clearly Cayman dive locations?

I've dived Grand Turk, which was ok, but not South Caicos.

Great resort. Crap diving. Nothing near CB or LCBR.

Yeah, we fished over there a few months ago and talked to the new GM. They're rebranding as a flagship Marriott property. Will be interesting to see if they can hit the brand standards with the difficulties and remoteness of the big south.

Diving in South Caicos can be absolutely spectacular. Unfortunately, most dive sites are on the eastern coast of the island and swell consistently comes from the east in tci. I'm honestly not sure what the Cayman guys were thinking running it the way they did. Most of the time when the swell switched enough to get great dives in in south we saw them on the wall in Grand Turk (which generally meant conditions were terrible on our side). I'm talking days where our shops wouldn't consider wasting their time in the ****** vis. It never made any sense. They've got some nice boats though!

My experience was the same as Tridacna, I really enjoyed the resort and the rooms were better than their resorts on CB or LC. But the diving was very rough and choppy most of the time, with nowhere near as much sea life. We did see humpbacks on a couple of surface intervals, and heard them once underwater, but that wasn't enough to make up for losing dives to high swell conditions. They did have some giant southern stingrays. I had one lined up to shoot a cool video of it resting on the sand but it was ruined by the DM swimming over and poking it to make it come up out of the sand. He thought he had done me a favor by "getting it moving to be a more exciting video". He lost a big chunk of his tip that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom