East Coast Diver Visit CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAIBdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to dive so.cal (Channel islands area) this summer. Never been to CA to dive.

What I like to find:

either a 3 day boat or day boat that's photo oriented - not hunter oriented. I'd like to bring my video and still cameras.

Would like to see - sea lions or seals. Kelp dive (never been in kelp) and maybe a blue water shark dive.

Summer time - still dry suit ?

Thanks for suggestions

NAIBDiver1

I can recommend the Mr. C and the Bottom Scratcher as camera-friendly. I dive with them through Pacific Wilderness - you can find a schedule of their charters on the PW website. I'm sure most of the large charters in the area can accomodate you as well.

I'd recommend a trip to Santa Barbara island to see seals and sea lions. Otherwise, you're pretty much leaving it to chance.

Almost any trip to frontside Catalina is sure to include a kelp dive. You can also check out the dive park in Avalon on Catalina island (see the current thread on Catalina for some great information to get you started).

Dry suit definitely depends on your comfort level and what you consider cold. I know people who dive dry year round, but during the summer it's mostly for convenience as opposed to temperature. I'd still recommend a 5mm or 7mm, but you might not need a hood. If last summer was any indication of temperature for this summer, it's going to be nice and warm.

Let us know when you plan on going out. Most of us dive at least every weekend... and then some. There are plenty of friendly people who would be willing to show you around.

- David

NAIBdiver1:
Hello,

I would like to dive so.cal (Channel islands area) this summer. Never been to CA.

What I like to find:

either a 3 day boat or day boat that's photo oriented - not hunter oriented. I'd like to bring my video and still cameras.

Would like to see - sea lions or seals. Kelp dive (never been in kelp) and maybe a blue water shark dive.

Thanks for suggestions

NAIBDiver1

NAIBdiver1:
Hello,

I would like to dive so.cal (Channel islands area) this summer. Never been to CA.

What I like to find:

Thanks for suggestions

NAIBDiver1

There are quite a few options for diving here. I'm not too familiar with the boats but I'm sure someone else will help you with that. As far as Sea lions you can shore dive at Crescent in Laguna Beach and swim with them. Kelp forests are up and down the coast but my suggestion would probably be to take a boat over to Catalina $48 and dive the underwater park. There is a new thread with all sorts of info on Catalina that was just started, so that can answer all your Catalina questions.

For a suit I usually wear a 3mm for shore diving or a 7mm for deep during the summer. Water temp is usually pretty nice. Of course it is all subjective. :blah:

Great suggestion - I'm starting to do my research now. When, will of course depend on my work schedule. It looks as though it will be early June or mid-August.

I dive a lot off the New Jersey shore, so water temp is not an issue. Unless I'm in North Carolina or the Carribbean - it's always in a dry suit.

As far as Kelp diving - I would like to go with an experienced kelp diver or hire a guide.

I'm hoping to have time to go to the Birch Aquarium as well. This is looking more and more like a weeks vacation.

Sounds like a bunch of fun and can't wait to dive in the Pacific !

NAIBdiver1:
Great suggestion - I'm starting to do my research now. When, will of course depend on my work schedule. It looks as though it will be early June or mid-August.

I dive a lot off the New Jersey shore, so water temp is not an issue. Unless I'm in North Carolina or the Carribbean - it's always in a dry suit.

As far as Kelp diving - I would like to go with an experienced kelp diver or hire a guide.

I'm hoping to have time to go to the Birch Aquarium as well. This is looking more and more like a weeks vacation.

Sounds like a bunch of fun and can't wait to dive in the Pacific !

If you are looking for an AWESOME liveaboard for a 2 or 3 day trip try one of Truth Aquatics boats. They are big, roomy, lots of yummy food, and very photo friendly. They even have that c-6 processing available on many trips. They'll be sure to hit at least one outer island - more life. Santa Barbara Island and Anacapa always seem to have sea lions. Truth Aquatics is out of Santa Barbarba, about a 2 hour drive north of OC. Also, The Lois Anne goes to Los Coronados, which is also teeming with sea lions.

Whenever you come, I'll be willing to go diving with you! I was thinking about doing a 2 or 3 day trip sometime during the summer.

L

boat trip to the Channel Islands for sure. I dove with hundreds of sea lions and pups off of Anacapa Island. Believe it or not, it was for my open water dives. I thought wow, this is great, but hard to concentrate when all these things are diving and flying by you. At one point, a pup was nibbling on my fin.

dgallo:
If last summer was any indication of temperature for this summer, it's going to be nice and warm.

Did you forget about those nasty thermoclines we had almost all summer long? Brrr! I never took off my hooded vest all summer long!

7mm wetsuit & hooded vest all year around here for me! Although SOME people forego the hood or reduce the wetsuit down to 5mm during the summer, most still wear the full get-up. With that in mind... bring your drysuit, but maybe grab an inexpensive 7 mm just in case??

From what I've been told, the trouble with drysuits here in the summer is the time between gearing up and actually jumping or walking into the water.

SoCalOffshore:
boat trip to the Channel Islands for sure. I dove with hundreds of sea lions and pups off of Anacapa Island. Believe it or not, it was for my open water dives. I thought wow, this is great, but hard to concentrate when all these things are diving and flying by you. At one point, a pup was nibbling on my fin.

I went to Anacapa, or maybe it was SBI?, last year and have about 8 minutes of sea lion bombing me film from my c5050. Itwas awesome to just sit and observe, which is what I think they were doing to us diivers, too! :eyebrow: They sat on the seafloor and imitated the divers, letting out bubbles and all! :lol2:

L

I think ScubaLaurel's recommendation of Truth Aquatics is a good one. They are very close to the Brook's Institute of Photography which charters the boats for several trips in July and August. I don't know what restrictions occur for those trips, but if you get on with one of those, this will be very photo oriented. I'd start planning now.

Glad you're coming out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom