eastcliffe hall charter ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under Michael:
Hey Brian, did 3 dives there today and what an incredible wreck. It's huge (343' long) and has endless things to see. If you're trained for overhead you could spend ages on this wreck exploring all the cargo holds and passageways. Lots of silt in places tho and some of those cargo bays are very dark even with a 10 Watt HID.

The current is strong like Lock 21 on a fast day and vis varied today from 15-20'. We were using a private boat and had no problems. ArtW, Freefloat, and I had some fantastic dives.

Chrysler Marina were very friendly and apparently will start charging launch fees next weekend. $7/launch or $50/season. Definitely worth a visit or 10. Happy diving,
UM

Thanks for the info (and Roger Wilco on the overhead training) once we finish moving and I get my life settled down again, I will definately move it up on my to do list.

Where exactly is the mooring(s) located on the wreck and are there any websites with info or pictures of it?

Also do you have GPS co-ordinates?

ThanX !

Dive Source:
Thanks for the info (and Roger Wilco on the overhead training) once we finish moving and I get my life settled down again, I will definately move it up on my to do list.

Where exactly is the mooring(s) located on the wreck and are there any websites with info or pictures of it?

Also do you have GPS co-ordinates?

ThanX !

Hey Brian, the mooring looks like a 45 gallon white and red plastic drum anchored to the starboard bow. There appears to be two plastic jugs downstream or East which I believe are anchored towards the stern.

They appear close together on the surface but the starboard bow line is dragged downstream by the heavy surface current. The relative location appears to be somewhat SWS of Chrysler Marina.

We spotted the buoy by eye after cruising out towards the channel. GPS Coordinates N44 55.4630 W75 06.0270. Check these sites; http://www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving/eastcliffe.htm

http://www.sharkys-scuba-supply.com/local-diving-sites-eastcliffe .html
Enjoy,
UM

Under Michael:
Hey Brian, the mooring looks like a 45 gallon white and red plastic drum anchored to the starboard bow. There appears to be two plastic jugs downstream or East which I believe are anchored towards the stern.

UM

The 55 gal drum is the SOS marker and has a tag line with another small plastic float attached. Please run your bow line through the eye in the tag line rather than tying our tag line to your boat. That way I do not have to replace the tag line every year. The next set of plastic jugs downstream belong to Andy Fytche from Depth Charge diving. If you use these, he may show up and ask you to move. The jug on the port side of the wreck was placed by a group from Quebec. I don't know how good thier downline or anchor point is so user beware. They are running zodiacs and one year they used a piece of 1/4" poly as a downline. The SOS line is 3/4" poly chained and shackled to the biggest cleat on the wreck and is not going anywhere. The downline has spliced eyes, is shackled and chained at each end, and was designed to hold Ron Cowalachuks(sp?) 70 ton liveaboard so he would stop dragging for the wreck with his anchor.

Make sure you stop at the winch at the bow and read the plaque placed by SOS 3 years ago. You can drop below the splash plates to get out of the current there.

Kevin Ripley
Mooring project director
SOS Ottawa

Kevin Ripley:
The 55 gal drum is the SOS marker and has a tag line with another small plastic float attached. Please run your bow line through the eye in the tag line rather than tying our tag line to your boat.
That's what we did - we have about 50' of dock line attached to Art's boat's bow so I just take a bight of that and tie off. Just curious but should you not have spliced a thimble into your eye? It would not only make it easier to grab, but would add to the longevity of your tag line....

Make sure you stop at the winch at the bow and read the plaque placed by SOS 3 years ago. You can drop below the splash plates to get out of the current there.
We read the plaque - I dusted it off with my Kevlar-palmed wet gloves. Must say they're handy to have instead of blue smurf gloves........ :D The current was reduced enough over the plaque that I could do a decent enough hover over it, without finning like a mad fool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom