Easy diving location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erbedo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, Wife and I are looking for a diving trip between the end of 2017 / start of 2018, both divers. Although we can go deeper, we are looking for something easy, in any part of the world. Plus, as my wife is not really familiar with, few sharks (yeah, I know that you can find them somewhere, just trying to avoid most crowded places).

We re located in Europe, but we can travel in the whole world. Our current ideas are:
- Raja Ampat
- Lembeh/Manado
- Roatan
but open for other places.

It is our first diving trip outside the Mediterranean, so we are looking for advices :)

What type of non-diving activities do you enjoy? Are you looking for land-based or liveaboard diving? How many days will you be traveling? Can you give us a relative idea about your budget, is it small, medium, large?

When you say "easy" do you mean "easy to get to", "easy diving", "easy (valet) dive operation" or something else?

When you say "few sharks" does that mean that you are looking for shark encounters or that you prefer low shark places?

The end of December and early January is a high travel season to warm locations so crowds may be an issue in lots of places and prices will be at their peak.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's a big world of diving and more information would better help us to advise you.

Based on your location, the Red Sea would be near and offers wonderful diving, but many people have concerns about traveling to the Middle East at this time.

@Storker recently reported a positive experience diving Tenerife in the Canary Islands which would be pretty close to you, but I think that the water will be quite cold at that time of year; but since you are used to the Mediterranean, maybe that isn't a concern?

Based on the information you provided, I am going to recommend Little Cayman. It has some of the best diving in the Caribbean, you are likely to see a few sharks, also lots of turtles, groupers, eels, and many tropical fish and beautiful reefs.

The reefs are close to shore and there usually isn't much current. The walls are amazing but they usually start rather shallow so it is easy diving. It is a small island and will not be crowded (but you'd better book soon because it fills up fast!)

There's not much night life, restaurants, shopping, or tourist attractions, but if you like those activities and you have the time, you could spend a few days on Grand Cayman.

Below is the link to the place we like to stay on LC, it is a small, all-inclusive, diver-dedicated resort with an excellent onsite dive operation that provides valet dive services. Everything is easy. And there are few other places to stay on Little Cayman if you prefer.

Little Cayman Beach Resort | Cayman Islands Resorts

- Raja Ampat
- Lembeh/Manado
- Roatan

Roatan isn't anywhere close in quality and diversity of diving to the other two options you have in the list. If you can go to Raja Ampat or Lembeh, don't even think about Roatan, it isn't even worth thinking about at all.

You can also come and visit us here in Libya across the Med. from you and live the adventure with us :)

I'd have to agree and I've been to Roatan (not the other 2 but have seen videos). If you do go in your time frame pick a south side resort - that's the likely time the north side gets blown out and only the larger operations have the ability to shuttle you south to dive. Also the only sharks you'll likely see on Roatan are at the paid shark dive.

I can't speak to Little Cayman but the best of Grand Cayman (the North Wall) could be undivable then also. The best of Grand Cayman diving is deep wall diving also - most first dives on a 2-tank trip do that.

Check the weather pattern first.
Could be wrong time of the yr to visit both Raja Ampat and Manado.

How about liveaboard at Similan Islands(Thailand) or Palau.

Thank you all for your advices.

I saw that for manado/raja ampat is not the best period of the year, but still enjoyable.

Roatan is attractive, also because we might be able to get cheap accommodation since we know someone there.

Roatan is attractive, also because we might be able to get cheap accommodation since we know someone there.

I have been there, never again. No fish and getting there is an issue. There are so many other places in the Caribbean with so much better diving and easier to get to than Roatan. Going to Roatan is a waste of valuable vacation time.

Thank you all for your advices...I saw that for manado/raja ampat is not the best period of the year, but still enjoyable. Roatan is attractive, also because we might be able to get cheap accommodation since we know someone there.

I have been there, never again. No fish and getting there is an issue. There are so many other places in the Caribbean with so much better diving and easier to get to than Roatan. Going to Roatan is a waste of valuable vacation time.

Cayman Airways has started twice weekly flights to Roatan from Grand Cayman which may make it easier to get there. See the link below:
Cayman Airways launches Roatan route | Cayman Compass

We have been to Roatan in the past and thought that the reefs were beautiful but that they had been overfished; but that was a number of years ago so things may have changed. But the sand fleas were a nuisance, too.

But the main reason we have not returned has been our travel health concerns as we have gotten older. We always visited the doctor and got vaccinated for Typhoid and Hepatitis A before heading to Roatan and we took Malaria medicine before, during, and after a trip. And we exercised food and water precautions while we were there, especially when away from the resort.

But the increasing concerns about mosquito-borne diseases like Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika have made that destination seem much less attractive to us. It's a major reason why Cayman has become our favorite Caribbean destination. They have good public health and mosquito-abatement programs and very low incidence of tropical diseases in the Caymans.

The OP did not mention age so I don't know if his wife is of child-bearing age? If yes, then Zika Virus is something to consider when planning travel to a tropical destination.

Both wife and I will be 32 at the time of trip. Didn't consider that, but certainly something to do.

You didn't supply enough detail for best recommendations

The Red Sea would make a great 1st destination dive trip. A good liveaboard can be had for around $1,000 per week per person, even less. Easy trip from Italy, I flew from Switzerland. I spent 2 weeks about a year ago and it was fabulous. My review is in the Red Sea forum from last October.

Give us some more hints about what you are looking for

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom