Easy way to clean a slate!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a heads up: on the Magic Eraser.
Read the contents: when they first came out they contained formaldehyde!
Not something you want to use without rubber gloves!!
Mike D

Magic Eraser is actually something called Basotect that is manufactured by BASF. It's been around for decades and is used in a wide range of applications, including thermal and sound insulation. It's safe, stable and there are no known hazards associated with it's use. Repeat: after decades of use in a variety of conditions, there are no known hazards. You can read the Material Safety Data Sheet for yourself.

Basotect is a condensate formed formaldehyde melamine co-polymer, so it always has been and still is made with formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is H2CO (hydrogen, carbon and oxygen, for those without high-school chemistry) so you know it must be scary stuff! It's important to understand that Basotect contains no unreacted formaldehyde - that is to say that there is no formaldehyde in Basotect, it has all been consumed during the manufacturing process. You're in more danger from aluminum foil than you are Magic Erasers.

I'd tell you to put a Magic Eraser in your pipe and smoke it, except that the stuff is highly flame resistant. :D

Formaldehyde is H2CO (hydrogen, carbon and oxygen, for those without high-school chemistry) so you know it must be scary stuff!

Should we stop worrying about Carbon Monoxide on the same basis?:wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. Great post.

Well... aluminum foil can be a bit intimidating.

I'll have to give the magic eraser a try. Up to now, I've found sand to be far more effective than Soft Scrub. Maybe I'm not scrubbing right- it just seems to take forever and never quite goes away whereas sand seems to work quickly with the same "never quite goes away" result.

Too bad there's not sand in our quarries! I'd really hear it if I silted up the area looking for pebbles to clean my slate!

A white 3M scouring pad will also work and it will last longer. Probably not as effective on the surface as the magic eraser though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom