Easy Way to Estimate Amount of Undergarments to be Comfortable in a Given Water Temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relampago

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a trilam drysuit and haven't had the chance to use it in diverse water temps. Is there an easy way to estimate how much undergarment insulation I will feel comfortable? (I know that most undergarment companies have charts, but I am asking if there is a way to approximate it subjectively/empirically on dry land using clothes.) For example, if water is 80 degrees, would it be good enough to wear what you normally would in 80 degree air temp weather in the shade? Shorts and a t-shirt would be comfortable in that scenario. If air temp is 60 and I were sitting in the shade for 1-2 hours, I would be comfortable in a fleece sweater and jeans and probably wouldn't feel overly hot if I had a thin pair of wool pants under the jeans.

Does that translate or does the water cool the air in the drysuit across the trilam fabric faster than being outside?

I very much doubt you could use what you wear on land as a guide to what undergarment you will need. I think the best way is to use the manufacturers recommendation as a guide, then adjust it depending on if you typically feel the cold or not. You'll need different layers for different temps anyway.
I'm pretty new to DS diving so I'll be interested in what the gurus have to say.

Wearing undergarments for outside temperatures would not translate for diving temps in NE for me. I'd either be overly hot or cold. Try it and if it works for you, great.

My formula:
1. Ask buddies what they use
2. Ask SB divers for recommendations

I just got a trilam drysuit and haven't had the chance to use it in diverse water temps. Is there an easy way to estimate how much undergarment insulation I will feel comfortable? (I know that most undergarment companies have charts, but I am asking if there is a way to approximate it subjectively/empirically on dry land using clothes.) For example, if water is 80 degrees, would it be good enough to wear what you normally would in 80 degree air temp weather in the shade? Shorts and a t-shirt would be comfortable in that scenario. If air temp is 60 and I were sitting in the shade for 1-2 hours, I would be comfortable in a fleece sweater and jeans and probably wouldn't feel overly hot if I had a thin pair of wool pants under the jeans.

Does that translate or does the water cool the air in the drysuit across the trilam fabric faster than being outside?
Water has an essentially infinite capacity to take away body heat, even at a small delta. The game is quite different vs being out of the water.

What I do is have fourth element artics (oe equivalent O3 ones) for most conditions. The warmest water I have used them in is 23C which was winter in Egypt.

That Is what I use down to maybe 15C then I probably add a woollen base layer. By 10C I may have two woollen base layers.

Colder than 8C that I have a Santi BZ400, I usually end up with a woollen base layer Too.

Watch out for warm days and cold water. Being in that Santi undersuit on a hot day results in sweating and being cold in the water.

Wearing undergarments for outside temperatures would not translate for diving temps in NE for me. I'd either be overly hot or cold. Try it and if it works for you, great.

My formula:

I'll second that and will add :

- have several undergarments, according the diving temperature (mildly cold, cold, very cold, extremely cold). Keep in mind that feeling cold is something very personal and varies greatly between individuals
- multi layer is always a good solution to finely tune your level of comfort

And use only quality undergarments, designed for diving, or at least for demanding outdoors activity. A polar tshirt maybe good for running, but how will it perform once soaked ? As the old saying goes, problems DO happen : a tear in the fabric of your drysuit, a busted zipper, or a not completely sealed one...

I've experienced some of those, I was glad I had some good undergarments which prevented me from shaking and my teeth from shattering. It was unpleasant, but not dreadful.

(double post, sorry)

I just got a trilam drysuit and haven't had the chance to use it in diverse water temps. Is there an easy way to estimate how much undergarment insulation I will feel comfortable?
No.
does the water cool the air in the drysuit across the trilam fabric faster than being outside?
MUCH faster...
My formula:
I'd add one more: Try it out and adjust as needed.

I've worn everything from a light pair of polypro pjs (60F), to heavy padded thinsulate (29F). But what I need to keep warm is most likely not what you need to keep warm.

I'll second that and will add :

[1] Keep in mind that feeling cold is something very personal and varies greatly between individuals
- multi layer is always a good solution to finely tune your level of comfort

[2] And use only quality undergarments, designed for diving, or at least for demanding outdoors activity. A polar tshirt maybe good for running, but how will it perform once soaked ? As the old saying goes, problems DO happen : a tear in the fabric of your drysuit, a busted zipper, or a not completely sealed one...

I've experienced some of those, I was glad I had some good undergarments which prevented me from shaking and my teeth from shattering. It was unpleasant, but not dreadful.
1. Definitely true. When I first started diving, my cold tolerance was significantly higher than what it is today. I think partly due to excitement and partly due to experience giving significantly higher bottom times. Either way, it's something that is variable by person but also something that can vary based on other random factors.

2. I agree, but I will add that when I first started drysuit diving I was intimidated by the prices of quality scuba undergarments, particularly base layers. Don't be afraid to experiment with the caveat of using appropriate materials - i..e polartec or wool vs. cotton which is terrible when wet. I have multiple thicknesses of base layers not designed for "scuba," but they are appropriate materials for wicking/wet insulation.
I'd add one more: Try it out and adjust as needed.

But what I need to keep warm is most likely not what you need to keep warm.

Having access to varying layers is important. If it's super hot outside, I will often use less layers because my base stays warmer for longer, but if doing multiple long dives, I will usually bring a thin vest layer or thicker base layer that I can change if I find myself getting cold.

My buddies have laughed at me several times for what seems as excessive layers, but more often than not I was comfortable for what my body tolerates for cold and they were not.

My buddies have laughed at me several times for what seems as excessive layers, but more often than not I was comfortable for what my body tolerates for cold and they were not.

Too right ! Been laughed at myself, but then again, when you've got 45' deco stop, hanging from the shot line, with nothing to see, nor to do, in 12°C water, I was the one laughing :D

I bet you were too.

Back
Top Bottom