Eclampsia and O2 toxicity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfcAJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dr. Deco,

A few days ago, I got to thinking about eclampsia and the resulting seizures. Have you heard anything about a relation between extreme hypertension and O2 toxicity?

I might be completely off base here (most likely), but could O2 seizures and eclamptic seizures be the result of the same thing, just caused by different conditions? Could the high partial pressures of O2 in diving mimic the elevated pressures in an eclamptic woman?

This is kind of hard to explain via a message board, so if you want me to try and clarify, let me know.

Just a thought!

I can´t see any relationship, in eclampsia what goes up is the arterial pressure nothing to do with any gas partial pressure. And the eclamptic seizures are not related to hipertension, it´s probably related to cerebral oedema.

I didn't consider the edema, but the gas issue that is stuck in my mind is increase in arterial pressure could relate to elevated pressures on gas in the bloodstream. After all, the O2 is still in the bloodstream, but the pressure is increased.

miguel sanz:
I can´t see any relationship, in eclampsia what goes up is the arterial pressure nothing to do with any gas partial pressure. And the eclamptic seizures are not related to hipertension, it´s probably related to cerebral oedema.

Concur. Further 02 convulsions occur in hyperoxia, P02 > 1.3, at least. That can only happened under hyperbaric conditions, not at sea level.

Hello PfcAJ:

From what I read, eclampsia is related to a blood pressure increase during pregnancy.

Blood pressure has nothing to do with gas partial pressures. Arterial gas pressures depend only on what is in the alveoli of the lungs (= in the breathing mix).

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom