Edge vs. HOG service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gregdive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to buy a new regulator setup and I want the ability to perform my own service. For the 1st stage, I want a yoke connector as my diving will be US and Caribbean travel.

The HOG D1 regulators are exactly what I'm looking for with the exception of the DIN connector. I see that HOG does have a DIN to yoke conversion http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/425316-converting-hog-regulator-din-yoke.html
but it seems silly to spend more money for the HOG with DIN connector only to spend yet more money to convert it to a yoke. The cost isn't a huge concern, I just hate to waste.

The Edge Epic sounds like the right solution except that Edge states that only authorized technicians can do the service. The HOG D1 can be serviced by the end user, with recommended training. So what's the reality? Is the Edge Epic really any different than a HOG D1 from a service perspective? Are the guts the same; if I'm capable of doing the service on the HOG, is there any reason I wouldn't want to work on the Edge (other than it's not "officially" supported)?

I know I could do the HOG with an external yoke adapter but I'm not really keen on having to use another gadget. I've also had issues with hitting my head on a standard reg so I really don't want to take a chance by adding even an extra inch.

You should go drive down to Denver, and talk to the owner of Hog and Edge at the Denver dive show tomorrow :wink:

Is the Edge Epic really any different than a HOG D1 from a service perspective? Are the guts the same; if I'm capable of doing the service on the HOG, is there any reason I wouldn't want to work on the Edge (other than it's not "officially" supported)?

The Epic is slightly more simple. You can, "officially", buy the service kit. And you can "officially" view the schematic on the HOG site where it is called a D2. I bought a couple of Epics with DIN fittings, and they are beautifully finished. I'm fighting the urge to open one up because it ain't broke and I know I'll just think "is that all there is?" once I do.

I like the way your post ostensively illustrates the ridiculousness of the ostensible EDGE/HOG difference.

---------- Post Merged at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I want to buy a new regulator setup and I want the ability to perform my own service.
The Edge Epic sounds like the right solution except that Edge states that only authorized technicians can do the service. The HOG D1 can be serviced by the end user, with recommended training. So what's the reality? Is the Edge Epic really any different than a HOG D1 from a service perspective? Are the guts the same; if I'm capable of doing the service on the HOG, is there any reason I wouldn't want to work on the Edge (other than it's not "officially" supported)?

HOG/to EDGE CONVERSION KIT:
HOG_D2COLD_1ST_SCHEMATIC.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 PM ----------
EDGE to /HOG CONVERSION KIT:
EDGE to /HOG CONVERSION KIT:
mb%20paint.png

Last edited:
Buy the D1 and get a din-to-yoke adapter too [they're inexpensive ]....Then you'll be prepared for any set-up....A lot of tanks have the yoke/din valve inserts that can be quickly/easily removed by a competent DM......So you may not even need to use the din/yoke adapter at times......

Wow, what a great sport cerich is! Impressive.......

I am sorry but if you have to ask this question about basic regulator construction should you be servicing your own regs?

I am sorry but if you have to ask this question about basic regulator construction should you be servicing your own regs?

Unlike so many scuba professionals, most diver were not born all-knowing of scuba information. So they might have a few questions that should be asked.

Unlike so many scuba professionals, most diver were not born all-knowing of scuba information. So they might have a few questions that should be asked.

That is why Hog doesn't sell rebuild kits to people who learned to service them on Scubaboard I guess.

Perhaps you should have asked. Anyone can buy a HOG service kit.

Well since I am a Hog dealer I don't have to ask. I know what company policy is, or suppose to be anyway.
Anyone who services their own regs without proper training is a danger to themselves and those they dive with. Anyone who services regs for others without proper training is borderline criminal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom