Edit button often missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomaster

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I often notice a typo, left out word, or something else that needs fixing, in one of my posts, sometimes a day or more later, when I try to fix it, no edit button. This isn't always the case, but I haven't recognized the pattern.
I can't even be sure that the edit button is always missing from the same sub thread, because I haven't taken notes.
Now that I've installed Mozilla, I had hope the intermittantly missing features difficulty I experienced with Internet Explorer would go away, is this merely another browser problem?

Tom

You only have a certain amount of time to edit a post.

cornfed:
You only have a certain amount of time to edit a post.
I guess I've really not paid attention,
it makes sense, sorta, that maybe no
more editing after nightly back up.
I guess this means I have to be more
careful when I write, else I'll have to
suffer the agony of knowing that
something I wrote is forever in public
view and messy.
Dang!

Tom

You have a day to edit your post which should be enough time to change a typo (or your opinion). If you have a problem after that point just contact a moderator and we willl gladly help you!

Tech Admin:
You have a day to edit your post which should be enough time to change a typo (or your opinion). If you have a problem after that point just contact a moderator and we willl gladly help you!
Thanks TA,
I probably won't bother a MOD unless I fear
I've written something that could unintentionally
hurt someone.
If I wrote something hurtful, intentionally,
it wouldn't get posted.
Okay, maybe if I wrote something that I
think, in hindsight, is really stupid; not just
marginally stupid -I just don't have that
kind of time... no one does.

Tom

There's a few reasons the edit window was changed to have a time limit. One of the biggest reasons were that people weren't taking responsibility for their own words; they'd say whatever the hell they wanted to say, and then go back and edit them later; after the flame war had commenced. A window was left open so you could go in and add things you might have forgotten, or tweak typos or correct bad links or whatever... but closed down after a reasonable timeframe so that you would have to be responsible for what you post... and if you are upset or angry; step back and think before you express.

Spectre:
There's a few reasons the edit window was changed to have a time limit. One of the biggest reasons were that people weren't taking responsibility for their own words; they'd say whatever the hell they wanted to say, and then go back and edit them later; after the flame war had commenced. A window was left open so you could go in and add things you might have forgotten, or tweak typos or correct bad links or whatever... but closed down after a reasonable timeframe so that you would have to be responsible for what you post... and if you are upset or angry; step back and think before you express.
This is understandable, but not having the edit button will also make it difficult to present and maintain common accounting lists. For example, the club forums will often have a updated post at the beginning of a thread that is used in event planning, i.e. who's attending what, who's responsible for what, who's bringing what, who likes what, who's ordering what.

While there is a calendar function available, not all planning threads are connected to a date. Maybe the date hasn't yet been determined or, like in the cases of order tracking or gathering ideas and opinions, a date may not apply.

As a thread grows, it will be more and more of an inconvenience to try to locate the latest posted list update.

I've had people update their lists and send them to me and I've replaced the initial post for them.

But yes, I know what you are referring to. It wasn't a problem with NELD as I was the list keeper and a mod. Now I'm neither [although people don't seem to realize I'm not keeping the list anymore].

If you need to update a list, you can just 'reply' to the original one, edit the quote tags off so that it's not actually -quoted-, make the edits you need to make, and then when you are finished, point a mod to the post and I'm sure they would be happy to replace the original post for you.

[heh heh.. Did I just volunteer the mod squad for work! heh heh.. heh heh..]

Back
Top Bottom