Egmont BC Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I've spent a lot of time up in the Sechelt peninsula around Egmont, but none of it diving. I hear that there are some wall dives nearby that are terrific. Also interested in finding out info on diving at Skookumchuck Narrows. I have my own boat so thats not an issue.

Thanks

overexposed2X:
I've spent a lot of time up in the Sechelt peninsula around Egmont, but none of it diving. I hear that there are some wall dives nearby that are terrific. Also interested in finding out info on diving at Skookumchuck Narrows. I have my own boat so thats not an issue.

greetings- you are correct the sechelt peninsula has some great wall diving and dont forget the chaudiare, it fantastic. A great asset the inlet has to offer is amazing visibility some times up to 140' I hear. A concern with the Skookumchuck rapids, I hear that its the coolest dive around if you can hit it correctly, but the current is so dynamic theres only a handful of times a year you can dive it. And if you miss calculate your dive you will get chewed up for sure. I recommend Kal and Ann at porpoise bay dive charters they do a fantastic job and the lodging is extremly reasonable
have fun- and ask about the money pit

overexposed2X:

Thanks
If you have your mind set on the Skookumchuck Narrows I would highly recommend you enlist the services of Bryce Christie and his boat the "Topline". The narrows are no place to be fooling around and nobody knows the Pender Harbor/ Egmont/ Narrows area as well as Bryce does. He is probably the best all around charter skipper we have ever used, worldwide...

Even though you have your own boat Bryce's service is well worth what it costs, he's got some excellent wall dives that the cold water corals start growing at about 200' deep.

You can reach bryce at:

http://www.sunshinecoasttours.bc.ca/

regards,

David

Yeah, Great diving, wicked currents at the Skook...
Kal and Anne at Porpoise Bay are excellant, However I did dive the "Glory? Hole" (sorry, foget the name of the charter too) and it was about 15 minutes of slack at the best... everything was covered as expected with the currents (they kayak on the standing 5' waves when it's really wicked)... but as David says, go with the experienced ones and save yourself some grief at the minimum and worse at the worst...
I stayed at Egmont and was nice, those little cabins are great.
Needless to say the diving there is terrific, with 80' vis as normal, but usually 140' I could see the surface.. heheh.. not that I would go that deep mind you... but those Cloud Sponges are something to 'dive' for..
It's pretty much Wall diving... but some reefs towards Sechelt... I always go up during Thanksgiving time (ours USA) and it's been 130ft + vis and the pubs are great too...
Ohhh, I do whine for Karla.. heheh.... inside joke.. but do the trip, well worth it...

Hope that helps..

These guys said it - Don't go dive Skook on your own. Enlist someone who knows what they are doing and the spots/times to drop you.

If you want to take your own boat in for some really great wall dives I would launch in Pender Harbour and hit Fernie Bluffs on the south end of Agamemnon (sp) Channel. Not too much of a current and a cove on the south corner of Nelson Is. makes a good spot to drop anchor - swim around and drop down the wall for some awesome cloud sponges and deep water gorgonians - indeed a good dive. Further up the channel you can hit the "Powerlines" on the peninsula side a nice deep wall not unlike the dive at Fernie Bluffs. Suttons Islets - north of Skook is a good dive but you can get a good current in there so consult your tables and it's not a bad idea to leave someone on the boat. There are so many! I hope this is a start.

Enzo:
These guys said it - Don't go dive Skook on your own. Enlist someone who knows what they are doing and the spots/times to drop you.

If you want to take your own boat in for some really great wall dives I would launch in Pender Harbour and hit Fernie Bluffs on the south end of Agamemnon (sp) Channel. Not too much of a current and a cove on the south corner of Nelson Is. makes a good spot to drop anchor - swim around and drop down the wall for some awesome cloud sponges and deep water gorgonians - indeed a good dive. Further up the channel you can hit the "Powerlines" on the peninsula side a nice deep wall not unlike the dive at Fernie Bluffs. Suttons Islets - north of Skook is a good dive but you can get a good current in there so consult your tables and it's not a bad idea to leave someone on the boat. There are so many! I hope this is a start.
Thanks - advice well heeded. I often go kayaking at the wave at skook and have often wondered what was down below. I did a weekend with Kal and Ann (which was great) since my last post. We did all the normal dives and Kal gave the the heads up about Skook. I hear that in the winter they get some days where the exchange is very, very small. Might have to plan on doing that next year.
Again many thanks for your input.

Yeah 2x,
It's a tough one. I beleive it's only diveable 2-3 times a year... Last week or the week before was suppose to be a HIGH exchange, so here were going to go up just to watch it...
Even on the 2-3 times you can dive it, there's still a backwash current - underwater, nothing that can't be handled but hard to get some good photos (noticed you're an UW Photog), more like shoot and drift, shoot and drift.. but covered walls etc..
Nice to do once just to say you've been there, but the regular dives up there are just as nice... especially the power lines... above the skook, and I guess to a lesser extent, the lower ones.. Stag Wall?? I fergit...
But all in all, great diving up there...

Back
Top Bottom