New fins question - Quattro vs Superchannel vs RK3 vs Lightjet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Similar fin comparison questions have been asked with great responses but still left me with a few things left unanswered. I am about to purchase a new pair of fins and have narrowed down the choices to the following: Mares Avanti Quattro, Mares Avanti Superchannel, Apeks RK3, and Tecline Lightjet.

For reference, I have 175 dives and will be doing open water diving (no future interest in technical diving), am physically fit, am a frog kicker and will only switch to flutter kicking in current. I have been using the Mares X-Stream fins exclusively. These fins have served me well and I'm able to stay in front of the pack in stronger currents but use a lot of effort and am wishing for a fin with a bit more power.

My main questions are:

1) How do the Superchannels compare to the Quattros as far as frog kicking efficiency and pure power on currents? Boats are crowded with Quattros so I am considering the Superchannels if the performance is similar to the Quattros.

2) How do tech fins like the RK3 and Tecline Lightjets compare to the Mares in terms of power. In an open water environment with no intention of doing wrecks or caves, I have a feeling the frog kicking efficiency differences of these two tech fins compared to the Mares are minimal and I am more interested in the difference in power (greatly different or minimally different??)

3) RK3s are adored or hated. Am I understanding that their ability for precision and control is the aspect that divers love but lack of power is why others stay away?

I appreciate your input!!

RK3 feel very weak and floppy to me. I haven't tried the HD version.

Unsure where you are going to find Lightjets in Canada. I'd look at Deep6 Eddy as a North American option.
The LJ is also rather positively buoyant if you are using a drysuit.

An outside option which I consider exceptionally good for both frog and flutter is the Truefin. I have a set and they are the best kicking fins I've owned.

I can only speak to the RK3s in comparison to the X-Streams as I've recently owned both. For flutter kicking, the X-Streams were 23% more efficient for me. I only know this because last month I counted my kick cycles for 100ft in both pairs. I did not have a chance to compare with frog kicks. I much prefer the RK3s over the X-Streams because they aren't as "floaty" and were better suited for frog kicking. That said, I just ordered a pair of the Deep6 Eddy fins because I find the RK3s to be a bit floppy as noted above and lacking in power overall. The RK3 HDs were much better, but too negatively buoyant for my needs. Lastly, my biggest gripe with the RK3s is the "bread box" style foot pocket. My feet move around in them a lot and I end up with blisters when doing multiple dives.

There's a reason that the boats are crowded with Mares Avanti Quattro fins, they are arguably the best all around paddle fins made and without any gimmicks. You won't get the same performance out of the Superchannels. I have had a pair going on 20 years and I'm a frog kicker.

I encourage you to add the Deep6 Eddy fins to the list. Very powerful for frog kicking, neutrally buoyant (great for wetsuits), very packable, and excels at back kicking (which is useful for recreational divers, too).

Thanks for the input!! There’s not doubt the Quattros are arguably the best fins on the market but I am curious if anyone has tried both the Quattros and Superchannel and could comment on whether there is a significant difference in performance or if it’s minimal. I would be just as happy to have Superchannels if they can hold their own and have something different to Quattros.

I keep seeing great reviews for the Eddys but found Lightjets for half the price which I why I would go for those instead. I would also be curious to hear from someone who has tried both the Lightjets and Quattros.

I used Superchannels before moving on to Quattros. Both are great, but the Quattros are stiffer and I found them more powerful. Since then I’ve moved on to RK3s for drysuit diving and sold both sets of Avantis. I love my RK3s and don’t find them floppy, but then again my local diving doesn’t involve much current. I’m generally puttering along pretty slowly, so they work great for my needs.

I've found this to be the best fin for current around here... it pairs well with my 22 year old quattros

20231218_173703.jpg

I have the Superchannels and Avanti Quattros, and love them both. I almost never flutter kick. Frog-kicking is equally easy in both fins.

The Quattros are stiffer, and have more power. I like the way the Superchannels kick better, and prefer them overall except in areas with high current or flow. The Quattros definitely do better in those conditions. I dive the Quattros in our high flow caves here, and have no trouble keeping up with my buddies in “tech” fins.

(That said, I actually did intro cave in my Superchannels and had no issue)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom