Fins for flutter kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-frog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am working in fish farms and I would like to change my fins because my current OMS slipstream XL are kind of exhausting to me and had some problems already with my ankles (Maybe the boots made that worse). I have to swim a lot almost every day. I would like to buy fins that can handle strong current and give me good speed without making me too tired. I am diving in wetsuit with a lot of weights and in cold water if that matters. Fins that are made for flutter kicks mainly I think will be ideal in my case. I found some fins already but I am not sure if they will be good.
Seawing nova Gorillas
Mares Quattro plus
Dive rite XT.
Any additional suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks!

Hi @Scuba-frog

I have dived Dive Rite XTs for many years. I mainly frog kick. Sometimes I use a wider, slower flutter kick. For my use, the XTs are excellent. With a faster, traditional flutter kick for speed or against current, I find that they require a fair amount of effort. I'm not sure how they would compare to your OMS Slipstreams

I am working in fish farms and I would like to change my fins because my current OMS slipstream XL are kind of exhausting to me and had some problems already with my ankles (Maybe the boots made that worse). I have to swim a lot almost every day. I would like to buy fins that can handle strong current and give me good speed without making me too tired. I am diving in wetsuit with a lot of weights and in cold water if that matters. Fins that are made for flutter kicks mainly I think will be ideal in my case. I found some fins already but I am not sure if they will be good.
Seawing nova Gorillas
Mares Quattro plus
Dive rite XT.
Any additional suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks!
Freediving fins. Or whatever spearfishers use. See this thread for example:

Cressi Gara models get a lot of positive reviews from spearos and they are relatively inexpensive.

Full foot fins are always going to be more efficient. Can you dive with just a neoprene sock or do you have to have a boot?

Freediving fins. Or whatever spearfishers use. See this thread for example:

Cressi Gara models get a lot of positive reviews from spearos and they are relatively inexpensive.

Full foot fins are always going to be more efficient. Can you dive with just a neoprene sock or do you have to have a boot?
I have to wear boots because of the terrain I have to walk on. But they look great otherwise

The SP Supernova fins are your best friend. Nothing compares to it. I have loaned them to other dive instructors here in Hurghada and they all loved them.

The SP Supernova fins are your best friend. Nothing compares to it. I have loaned them to other dive instructors here in Hurghada and they all loved them.
Will gorilla version will be better? And what about the durability? Because the environment here is harsh (a lot of oysters etc.)

Freediving fins in and around cages and loose lines are extremely annoying.
I had a workmate who used only old red scubapro splitfins, the stiff version and I laughed at him until a overweight diver three times my age outswam me again and again.
If any of the jet fin clones are putting to much strain on your ankles try those.

Mares Quattro plus, half the price of the Supernova [they are here] and last for years.
Look 'dog ugly' when scratched up from use, but hard to kill.
With enough 'grunt' for what you want.

Back
Top Bottom