Help with fins! TY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bimmerfam92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some advice on fins selection. I currently only dive OC wet, both warm water with 3mm and colder water off California usually 7mm. The last time I needed new fins was many years ago and I was on the fence between the D6Eddy and DR XT. Ended up with the D6Eddy, and it has been fantastic. It’s my only fin currently and I’ve been all over with it. My one and only issue I have is that because of its fairly stiff design, I seem to lack ‘horsepower’ for long swims, like surface swims or when there is heavy current. When I’m under the water, I frog kick 99% of the time. I’ve got plenty of torque, excellent maneuverability, good trim, etc, but on longer surface swims where I may need to flutter kick, it’s more difficult and seems less efficient. Basically I’m kinda slow, but not because I’m winded. I don’t think it’s just being weak, although I guess that could just be the issue lol.

I’m considering getting a fin that I could selectively use when I know I’m doing that shore dive with a long surface swim/with a possible decent current. I need a fin that is near neutrally buoyant (slightly negative buoyancy probably fine, but not Jetfin level). I was considering getting the DR XT, but have heard conflicting things about its ability to flutter kick, and whether it would be any better in that department compared to the Eddy. I was also considering the Apex RK3 vs Apex RK3 HD. Not sure if the RK3 is going to be way to flexible, and if the RK3 HD would be too similar to the Eddy. Was also considering the Slipstream, or the Hollis F1 LT. I am even considering this new TrueFin with exchangeable spines to allow different levels of flex (which seems exactly what I’m looking for, but aesthetically looks kinda dumb to me).

Basically looking at a fairly neutral to slightly negative buoyant fin that I can use with some flutter kicking when needing to do longer surface swims and be faster, but still want to frog kick once I’m under the water.

Any thoughts or wisdom much appreciated.

I have D6 Eddys and OMS Slipstreams. I too find the Eddys too stiff for extensive flutter and prefer the Slipstreams with a bit more flex. Currently waiting for a trade opportunity to exchange my XL Eddys or L Slipstreams for some XL Slipstreams due to footwear changes for drysuit use. The Eddys are almost perfectly neutral and the Slipstreams are about 0.6lbs negative which is about right for me in the DS.

I also tried a buddy's DR XTs. I found the blade angle too aggressive combined with its stiffness for comfortable distance flutter, nice for frog though, and maybe I could have adapted.

I’m waiting for the S tek fins to show up soon which are supposed to be adjustable for buoyancy, haven’t received shipping info but should be soon. In the mean time I’m using the super nova’s which have been great. For travel I found these take apart fins to be really nice for packing.

finding easy to flutter kick and very good + for frog kick isn’t easy, neutral or slightly negative makes it harder.

Zeagle recon are a good compromise on kicks but they are about Jet negative.

I have D6 Eddys and OMS Slipstreams. I too find the Eddys too stiff for extensive flutter and prefer the Slipstreams with a bit more flex. Currently waiting for a trade opportunity to exchange my XL Eddys or L Slipstreams for some XL Slipstreams due to footwear changes for drysuit use. The Eddys are almost perfectly neutral and the Slipstreams are about 0.6lbs negative which is about right for me in the DS.

I also tried a buddy's DR XTs. I found the blade angle too aggressive combined with its stiffness for comfortable distance flutter, nice for frog though, and maybe I could have adapted.
Were the DR XT easier/better for flutter compared to the Eddys?

Were the DR XT easier/better for flutter compared to the Eddys?
Eddys are much better for me. They kick like "regular" fins. Great for quick bursts and precision but I find them just a bit to stiff for hard or sustained flutter kicking - only fin to give me somewhat frequent cramping.

The XTs have a significant bend that makes the upstroke odd/difficult/uncomfortable for me. They tend to scoop rather than spill on the upstroke and pulled my legs down. Maybe I could learn to adapt my stroke to work with them, but I didn't have sufficient time and I felt the

Slipstreams probably make more sense for me as I am comfortable with their balance.

If you want the ultimate in extended range flutter, the Force Fin Pros (or likely some of their higher end ones too) are great. The analogy I use is that FFs are like spinning on a bike: easy, higher-cadence, low-amplitude where the Eddys are like grinding: hard, low-cadence, high-amplitude. They are very efficient fins and not bad for bursts either. Surprisingly usable for slow frogging using ankle flips. I love them for for reef diving.

I’m waiting for the S tek fins to show up soon which are supposed to be adjustable for buoyancy, haven’t received shipping info but should be soon. In the mean time I’m using the super nova’s which have been great. For travel I found these take apart fins to be really nice for packing.

finding easy to flutter kick and very good + for frog kick isn’t easy, neutral or slightly negative makes it harder.

Zeagle recon are a good compromise on kicks but they are about Jet negative.

How is the blade angle of the Super Novas compared to the Go Sports/Eddys/Slipstreams? I need to pick up some positive, packable, tech-kick-competent fins for some upcoming training. Go Sport/GS Gorillas where what I was comsidering, but the take-down aspect is somewhat appealing.

Eddys are much better for me. They kick like "regular" fins. Great for quick bursts and precision but I find them just a bit to stiff for hard or sustained flutter kicking - only fin to give me somewhat frequent cramping.

The XTs have a significant bend that makes the upstroke odd/difficult/uncomfortable for me. They tend to scoop rather than spill on the upstroke and pulled my legs down. Maybe I could learn to adapt my stroke to work with them, but I didn't have sufficient time and I felt the

Slipstreams probably make more sense for me as I am comfortable with their balance.

If you want the ultimate in extended range flutter, the Force Fin Pros (or likely some of their higher end ones too) are great. The analogy I use is that FFs are like spinning on a bike: easy, higher-cadence, low-amplitude where the Eddys are like grinding: hard, low-cadence, high-amplitude. They are very efficient fins and not bad for bursts either. Surprisingly usable for slow frogging using ankle flips. I love them for for reef diving.

How is the blade angle of the Super Novas compared to the Go Sports/Eddys/Slipstreams? I need to pick up some positive, packable, tech-kick-competent fins for some upcoming training. Go Sport/GS Gorillas where what I was comsidering, but the take-down aspect is somewhat appealing.
The blade angle of the super nova is 20° or something, same as the GoSport, Eddys and slipstream are flat and with little tip deflection can make flutter tough.

I was tempted to get the orange GoSport gorilla but the tank apart of the S tek and the experience with the super nova make me go that way instead, the GS is a more compact fin on your feet but don’t pack as well.

The XTs are my favourite wetsuit fin hands down but they are not really suitable for flutter kicking, super stiff, excel at frog kicking but flutter not so much. YMMV.

You are kinda talking two different animals here. The Eddy fins, slipstreams, hog tech fins, etc. are stiff for a reason. Same reason they are also shorter. They are all designed for tech diving where precise control is needed and there's a good chance of being in a confined space where longer fins might be a problem when doing helicopter turns, back kicks, etc.
For "big water" open ocean or something like the Great Lakes, there are two fins that I preferred. I've tried half a dozen or more but the Hollis F-1s and the old Aqualung Blades were hard to beat. Tried Mares Quattros and Dive Rite XTs and while very good fins, the foot pockets were not comfortable for me.
The original Hollis F-1s are neutral in saltwater. I was the first consumer tester of them back in 2008 and had a set in January. They were released for public sale in June. They are on heavy side for travel. But they do not take a lot of effort to get them moving and keep a good pace. Great in currents!
The original Blades are slightly positive in saltwater, but much lighter and while stiff, they channel the water nicely and are not prone to giving me cramped legs. They are damn near indestructible and you can often find the originals on ebay for less than $50. Add a set of springs or bungee straps to them and they'll last forever. Mine are going on 20 yrs old and I'd put them up against any other fin.
DO NOT LOOK at the Blades II that came out a few years after they stopped selling the original. Those are absolute garbage.

I'm currently testing some Truefins and overall very impressed, although I have yet to do much extended flutter kicks. I should have an opportunity tomorrow however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom