Buying my first set of fins. Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tycksel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Trying to decide which fins I'm gonna buy. I'm heavy legged, so fins should be positive or neutral in water. I'm backpacker so fins should fit to my 65L checked in backpack (maximum height 68cm). Light weight is also huge plus. Also looking little bit stiffer and more powefull fins in current than those usual floppy dive shop rental ones.

Most of my time I use frog kick. And I'll be using these fins to snorkeling too. Diving only in warm waters using 3mm wetsuit.

Searched all the online shops from Finland and these fins are only one they sell with my size(XL). And I wanna buy from local stores because I can try and return those.

- Apeks RK3 (120€)
- Apeks RK3 HD (120€)
- Scubapro go sport (114€)
- Scubapro go travel (78€)
- Mares Avanti quattro+ (104€)
- Tecline lightjet (115€)
- Dive rite XT (140€)

My personal favourite is tecline, even though I haven't tried them yet. I just like to style of jet fins and these have steel springs too. But can't find much of reviews from these (only few in here).

I tried Apeks RK3 at shop, and their foot pocket was super comfortable. But they seem little floppy.

Also Scubapro go sport/travel seems very interesting

Scubapro go sport.

Scubapro SuperNova. Modular. Can take it apart for travel. Great for frog kick and:eek:r other kicks. A tad more expensive though. 😜
however, it is a one time buy and the last fin you will need to buy. I may sell the other 5 pairs I own :)

Scubapro SuperNova. Modular. Can take it apart for travel. Great for frog kick and:eek:r other kicks. A tad more expensive though. 😜
however, it is a one time buy and the last fin you will need to buy. I may sell the other 5 pairs I own :)
I haven't even checked any reviews from those because they look so "strange". But I'll have a look for those too

the last fin you will need to buy. I may sell the other 5 pairs I own

I agree 💯 with you. I can't get myself to use any of the other 4 fins I have after getting these fins.

i have both go sport and rk3, in my opinion they feel the same. i've tried swimming with one of each even.
just saw the teclines in person, looks identical to deep 6 eddy. is it the same mold perhaps? seems like a good choice, my tech instructor was using them.

i have both go sport and rk3, in my opinion they feel the same. i've tried swimming with one of each even.
just saw the teclines in person, looks identical to deep 6 eddy. is it the same mold perhaps? seems like a good choice, my tech instructor was using them.
I've also heard that they are almost same (tecline & deep6), that's why I'm also interested from those. I would buy those eddy fins but I live in EU, so that's almost impossible

Fin choice is very personal. I've met so many people who love Quattros, yet they gave me cramp every time I've used them. I wouldn't describe them as floppy, but to me, it felt like I wasn't pushing against anything. Maybe this is why people like them? I pushed harder and got cramp! Quite a few people were using RK3s on a liveaboard I've just done. They look great and the owners seem to be happy. If possible, try before you buy!

Fin choice is very personal. I've met so many people who love Quattros, yet they gave me cramp every time I've used them. I wouldn't describe them as floppy, but to me, it felt like I wasn't pushing against anything. Maybe this is why people like them? I pushed harder and got cramp! Quite a few people were using RK3s on a liveaboard I've just done. They look great and the owners seem to be happy. If possible, try before you buy!
I've tried RK3 at shop and they felt comfortable but many people say that they don't give much power? Can't try them in water because I don't dive in my country (too cold)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom